Piano Advice

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

30 Jun 2017

Hi All!

I have recently been converting a guitar track to piano and need advice on how to make my piano not sound regimented and have hardly any feeling / emotion. The emotion I want from it is that of Chris Martin of Coldplay like in this track:-

I suppose the ideal solution is to learn piano (which I've been trying but not getting very far) then I would learn what notes would go in between chords by learning what other songs do etc. There's a certain emotion you get by playing it in on the fly in velocities and note lengths.

At the moment, if I quantize, it sounds wrong completely. I moved some notes back a 32ndth note before the grid lines and that really helped in some cases but in basically a 2 chord sequence over 4 bars it's taken me about an hour just get about 80% of the way there (adjusting manually and listening back countless times) and now I'm a bit stuck on what to do with it to get what I want or complete it and this is only the intro / chorus, haven't even done the verses or bridge yet as they're slightly different again. I even resorted to playing a one note riff over the top of the piano part and then moving the other notes out of the way and it worked to some extent.

Any tips, tricks, techniques anyone could advise here?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Wickline

30 Jun 2017

If you're drawing in notes, regroove is your biggest friend here IMO. Can also split your notes into multiple lanes/tracks to make a left hand / right hand with slightly different regroove settings.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Creativemind

30 Jun 2017

I was actually talking about drawing, playing, cutting and pasting.

I want advice from people who are pianists who have used Reason and can maybe give me tips on where notes fall from their experience, if that makes sense. If there's any similar patterns that might help me in my pursuit of feeling without it sounding too regimented.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information