[Request] expanse tutorial for making drum sounds from init patch.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
AttenuationHz

21 Jun 2017

If anyone would like to do a tutorial on expanse for creating drum sounds particularly Kick sounds from the default patch state I think it would be good content to have. Any synth is capable of drum sounds but expanse is probably the one with the most customisable controls.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Oquasec

21 Jun 2017

It's the same process you'd do in other synths.
There's 15+ types out there and expanse can do most of em by default.

It's serum with 4 oscillators.
It can use any waveforms, without needing to convert them to cv signals like thor.
It has more filters than 90% of the stuff out there in just one instance of expanse, which is retarded for one instance of a plugin.

I also have that plug, but using subtractor more since it's one of the plugins I have not looked into much till recently due to wanting to get to some level of CV mastery for later things.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Kenni
Site Admin

21 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:
21 Jun 2017
It's the same process you'd do in other synths.
You basically wrote the same as the OP. :)

Expanse is a bit more complex and has so many options, so I think a tutorial on this would be a cool thing.

@AlexCVX, maybe this is a thing for you? :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Oquasec

21 Jun 2017

It has a manual that tells you how it works and it is laid out very clearly over here. http://blamsoft.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 10RevA.pdf
I look for manuals of everything I purchase, and skim through them when necessary during my many breaks from production.

(I own 60+ RE including the freebies and some vsts)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

alex

23 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Jun 2017
If anyone would like to do a tutorial on expanse for creating drum sounds particularly Kick sounds from the default patch state I think it would be good content to have. Any synth is capable of drum sounds but expanse is probably the one with the most customisable controls.
Hey, :)

I did a Zero video tutorial about this topic and maybe you could grasp something of your interest on it.
I'm saying this because I find that Zero and eXpanse have some similarities, at least on a few features and workflow wise, especially on envelopes (quite critical for kick drum sound design) which you can try to translate on eXpanse and in case you are in need for clarification feel free to ask:

Anyway keep in mind that, as far as I can tell, eXpanse (and Zero) envelopes are a bit on the "soft side" which is fine for the majority of sounds but possibly not the most suitable for sharp percussive hits. In that case my recommendation is Thor which works surprisingly well and that's why I did also a video on it:

PS: I'm currently unable to make a new video tutorial... OBS doesn't seems to like my last pc/os upgrade and I'm struggling to solve screen capture issues :(
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

AttenuationHz

23 Jun 2017

Nice. Extremely helpful. I especially like the Thor one. :thumbs_up:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

WongoTheSane

23 Jun 2017

alex wrote:
23 Jun 2017
PS: I'm currently unable to make a new video tutorial... OBS doesn't seems to like my last pc/os upgrade and I'm struggling to solve screen capture issues :(
Are you using OBS Studio? I'm asking because I had the same problem, I realized that OBS was the old version, and OBS Studio was the newest branch, still maintained. It's free as well and I've been using it successfully (with Windows 7 64 bits and a RME Babyface as audio card).

alex

23 Jun 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Are you using OBS Studio? I'm asking because I had the same problem, I realized that OBS was the old version, and OBS Studio was the newest branch, still maintained. It's free as well and I've been using it successfully (with Windows 7 64 bits and a RME Babyface as audio card).
Yes I'm currently on Windows 10 with OBS Studio which it doesn't capture drop down and context menus at all (and floating windows like Reason spectrum analyzer too). My old configuration was OBS Classic on Windows 7 and screen capture worked fine.

I'm considering trying the OBS classic on Windows 10 and see how it goes.
Reading OBS forums I still have a card to play: replacing DX11 with OpenGL but for some reasons it shows only DX11 as available choice on my end, I have to dig deeper into this, probably during this week-end.

Hey, I have the RME Babyface too (1st gen)! :) Great card!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

AttenuationHz

23 Jun 2017

alex wrote:
23 Jun 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Yes I'm currently on Windows 10 with OBS Studio which it doesn't capture drop down and context menus at all (and floating windows like Reason spectrum analyzer too). My old configuration was OBS Classic on Windows 7 and screen capture worked fine.

Reading OBS forums I still have a card to play: replacing DX11 with OpenGL but for some reasons it shows only DX11 as available choice on my end, I have to dig deeper into this, probably during this week-end.

Funny you should say that was having the same issue with OBS, 64/32bit on windows 7, not capturing the analyser window and stopped using it because it would not capture games in windowed mode either (same Issues with studio too). Very hard finding a fix for it so I just didn't bother. I could only ever use monitor capture.

Have you tried other options other than OBS like - xsplit, FRAPS, NVIDIA shadow play. MSI afterburner has a built in screen capture but its very limiting.

WongoTheSane

23 Jun 2017

alex wrote:
23 Jun 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Jun 2017

Are you using the "Window Capture" mode by any chance? If you do, have you tried using "Display Capture" instead? Because as I understand it, Window Capture only captures the main window and not "sub-windows", like the spectrum typically, and some drop downs (depending on how they're handled by the program). Not sure it helps but it might be worth a try?

Indeed, I love my Babyface! :)

• Information