Is there a synth / technique for this kind of pitch bending?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

17 Jun 2017

I really like pitch bending for various reasons, but I'm sometimes quite limited due to setting an amount of semitones to bend to - after which I need to start a new note or automate the amount of semitones to bend to which would logically cause a bit of popping.

An example would be using one note and bending up two semitones, then wanting to bend up again 2 more semitones from there without starting a new note. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Ahornberg

17 Jun 2017

Maybe use glide/portamento instead of pich bend or maybe have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7501774

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:I really like pitch bending for various reasons, but I'm sometimes quite limited due to setting an amount of semitones to bend to - after which I need to start a new note or automate the amount of semitones to bend to which would logically cause a bit of popping.

An example would be using one note and bending up two semitones, then wanting to bend up again 2 more semitones from there without starting a new note. Any ideas?

Cheers!
In that specific example what I do is start by playing the SECOND note with the PB all the way down, which sounds the first pitch. Then you bend UP your 2nd note, then up again to the third.

This was learned by watching how guitar players approach the same issue, btw! Learned a lot by analyzing (and learning to play) guitar solos that I loved. Yea, I know it's cliche as a keyboard player to want to be a "guitar player"!!!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

19 Jun 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Maybe use glide/portamento instead of pich bend or maybe have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7501774
Yes glide is something I could try thanks for the suggestion. The post in the link looks like a lot of work just to get close when close is going to be off key. Thanks again.

Jagwah

19 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Jagwah wrote:I really like pitch bending for various reasons, but I'm sometimes quite limited due to setting an amount of semitones to bend to - after which I need to start a new note or automate the amount of semitones to bend to which would logically cause a bit of popping.

Cheers!
In that specific example what I do is start by playing the SECOND note with the PB all the way down, which sounds the first pitch. Then you bend UP your 2nd note, then up again to the third.

This was learned by watching how guitar players approach the same issue, btw! Learned a lot by analyzing (and learning to play) guitar solos that I loved. Yea, I know it's cliche as a keyboard player to want to be a "guitar player"!!!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Great idea Selig, didn't think to incorporate pitch down into the equation and I like where the idea has come from, thanks!! :)

abbosher

19 Jun 2017

Yeah each method will yield some interesting results, so I definitely encourage you experiment with both. I've done both, but it's all really dependent on what you want exactly. Setting the PB all the way down is definitely a fast start way to get it done.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
19 Jun 2017

Great idea Selig, didn't think to incorporate pitch down into the equation and I like where the idea has come from, thanks!! :)
I forgot to mention this is called a "pre-bend" in the guitar world, which is where the idea came from (spent a lot of time around world class guitars players over the years, and still only picked up a few techniques!).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

20 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017
I forgot to mention this is called a "pre-bend" in the guitar world, which is where the idea came from (spent a lot of time around world class guitars players over the years, and still only picked up a few techniques!).
:)
Really cool Selig, cheers :)

• Information