8191 Values Not Calculating

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Ostermilk

12 Jun 2017

Did you get this working?

Your formula is good enough.

Having done a similar thing before I remember having to fine tune some values against a copy of the same synth playing the actual notes to get it perfectly in tune due to some synth settings such as portmento or an lfo for example skewing the perception of some of the notes bent from a single note origin.

Your figures look near enough to me to be in the ball park though to follow up with the fine tune method I described.

Ahornberg

13 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:I'm happy enough to do the 'fine tuning' if that's what is required. For now I'm trying to build out a concept using Subtractor (it will be applied to the bass patch, so I may as well work with that as my test signal). It's a real bugger though, in Reason - since I cannot have the tuner always displaying, so it's a bit of back and forth.

Does anyone know if an RE that will display notes as a frequency value in Hz ? This would be invaluable !

I alluded to this project in another thread, using Synchronous, but have since scrapped that and think I may have come up with a new method. Basically I want to build a patch in which I can play a single note, then use the keybed to 'play' the pitch shifts (without sounding their own native notes), and create a legato bassline with no attack between note changes in a phrase
Can you give us a sound example what you expect?

In my opinion playing a mono synth legato does not apply attacks between notes/pitches and if you want portamento you can use it too.

What do you mean by "keybed"?

Ahornberg

13 Jun 2017

If you set your pitch-bend-range to 16 then every semitone is 512 pitch-bend-values apart (means no fractions in your table).

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2017

I would approach this more literally than theoretically - just type in values in an automation track and view the audio output of subtractor (or any synth) with a tuner. Note the values for each semitone and you'll have perfectly in tune values. Not as elegant as trying to find the formula, but at this rate will probably get you moving along quicker. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

13 Jun 2017

selig wrote:I would approach this more literally than theoretically - just type in values in an automation track and view the audio output of subtractor (or any synth) with a tuner. Note the values for each semitone and you'll have perfectly in tune values. Not as elegant as trying to find the formula, but at this rate will probably get you moving along quicker. :)
Even someone once said to Pythagoras: "Music instruments are tuned by ear and not by playing around with numbers" :puf_bigsmile:

submonsterz

13 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:I'm happy enough to do the 'fine tuning' if that's what is required. For now I'm trying to build out a concept using Subtractor (it will be applied to the bass patch, so I may as well work with that as my test signal). It's a real bugger though, in Reason - since I cannot have the tuner always displaying, so it's a bit of back and forth.

Does anyone know if an RE that will display notes as a frequency value in Hz ? This would be invaluable !

I alluded to this project in another thread, using Synchronous, but have since scrapped that and think I may have come up with a new method. Basically I want to build a patch in which I can play a single note, then use the keybed to 'play' the pitch shifts (without sounding their own native notes), and create a legato bassline with no attack between note changes in a phrase
Use span vst .plug in both your signals to match them visually and precisely via zooming to your frequency spike it gives good info where your mouse is on the spectrum display gives Hz right down to the tenth of a Hz and gives note and cents plus /minus and dB . It's easy to match two signals using it fairly precisely .

Ahornberg

13 Jun 2017

Ok, now I understand what you are going to do with PitchBend :)

Unfortunately I didn't find a way to save my solution in a lower version of Reason than 9.5.

Portamento always starts after the Note On, so playing a bit before the beat could help.

PitchBend always tends to be glitchy. I tried using delays on CV Note and Gate but I never got satisfied with this.
Subtractor has an OSC Pitch Modulation CV input on the back side that seems to work better than PitchBend.

Ahornberg

13 Jun 2017

If you were on Reason 9.5 or if you rewire with a VST DAW (e.g. like Reaper) you could use the free MTuner https://www.meldaproduction.com/MTuner for tuning. It works very accurate.

Joerg

17 Jun 2017

wouldn't Ochen K's Microtune do the trick? You could seperate it on its own sequencer lane and then could play the pitchwheel by your keyboard/sequencer. At least I understood it that way.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/microtune/

• Information