Reason Wizardry - Kong Deep Dive now up!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
JeremyNSL

07 May 2017

Hey RT,

Just want to mention that our long-running Reason Wizardry video tutorial series is now on Youtube. There are about 25 episodes online already, and the few remaining that aren't already up will be posted later in 2017.

If you aren't already aware, Reason Wizardry is a series of advanced Reason sound design tutorials that was previously delivered to paid subscribers on a monthly basis. The episodes range from ~20 minutes to over 1 hour and the content is all pretty advanced.

The latest episode I've posted is above - create your own Pulveriser-style compressor using a Combinator!

If you'd like to check out the other videos, click the link below for the entire Wizardry playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... u6qBbvl65Z

I hope you find the content useful!
Last edited by JeremyNSL on 15 Jun 2017, edited 3 times in total.
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

grizelda

08 May 2017

I am away on holidays but really looking fwd to getting home and watching/trying this in my studio!

many thanks :)

Bumbum

08 May 2017

these are must see! when i started with reason,these free UT clips were essential. From reason basics to quite advanced sound design.
thank you jeremy for all these tutorials!

JeremyNSL

09 May 2017

grizelda wrote:I am away on holidays but really looking fwd to getting home and watching/trying this in my studio!

Thanks for the interest!
these are must see! when i started with reason,these free UT clips were essential. From reason basics to quite advanced sound design.
You are very welcome :)
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

grizelda

10 May 2017

JeremyNSL wrote:
grizelda wrote:I am away on holidays but really looking fwd to getting home and watching/trying this in my studio!

Thanks for the interest!
You are very welcome :)
hi jeremy,

i watched the tute last nite - it was really informative and eye opening for me! thank you.

one thing i would just like to ask - with regards to the whole A/B comparison during the post production process; i am constantly noticing that my songs, whilst mixed down pretty well for a home studio (imho), are always sooooo much louder than the reference track i am listening to. i notice that the reference track is much quieter but also a nice full sound with clarity and space in the mix. at mix down stage i dont use anything other than eq and compression on applicable channels (i use hp/lp on most channels too) and have not actually attempted to master a project yet as i am half tempted to just send off the stems and have them done by a real professional. so, my question, is this quieter yet polished sound something that can be done at the mastering stage ie limiting, eq'ing and compressing (not in that order) the master track which will help me get my project sounding similar at similar levels? i find that A/B is too hard at mix down phase when my mix is just so much louder and fuller than the ref track....i would be constantly turning the interface vol up and down to cope with the difference between the two. would love your insight if you have a moment.

thank you

grizel

JeremyNSL

10 May 2017

So your track is much louder than your reference track? Are you using the same player for both tracks? ie. you need to listen to your reference track inside Reason in order to compare it to your source track - if you are listening to it in iTunes or something, then it's impossible to compare volumes. I'd be really surprised if your reference track (which is fully mastered, presumably) is much quieter than your unmastered source track.

Anyway, regardless of the volume differences between reference and source track, you will definitely need to volume match them before you can A/B them. So if you import that reference track into Reason, you can use the Big Meter to match it's RMS volume to your source track before A/Bing. A/Bing with big volume differences is impossible, as you are finding out.

I should also mention that while others may have a very different viewpoint, I don't think you should need to refer really often to a reference track while mixing. Using reference tracks is somewhat common while mastering, to match up a similar EQ curve. But during mixing I think it's probably best just to EQ and/or compress each track optimally without considering a reference track very much. Again, I'm not saying you are doing it wrong, but certainly many people mix tracks well with only minimal reference track use, if at all.
grizelda wrote: hi jeremy,

i watched the tute last nite - it was really informative and eye opening for me! thank you.

one thing i would just like to ask - with regards to the whole A/B comparison during the post production process; i am constantly noticing that my songs, whilst mixed down pretty well for a home studio (imho), are always sooooo much louder than the reference track i am listening to. i notice that the reference track is much quieter but also a nice full sound with clarity and space in the mix. at mix down stage i dont use anything other than eq and compression on applicable channels (i use hp/lp on most channels too) and have not actually attempted to master a project yet as i am half tempted to just send off the stems and have them done by a real professional. so, my question, is this quieter yet polished sound something that can be done at the mastering stage ie limiting, eq'ing and compressing (not in that order) the master track which will help me get my project sounding similar at similar levels? i find that A/B is too hard at mix down phase when my mix is just so much louder and fuller than the ref track....i would be constantly turning the interface vol up and down to cope with the difference between the two. would love your insight if you have a moment.

thank you

grizel
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

grizelda

11 May 2017

JeremyNSL wrote:So your track is much louder than your reference track? Are you using the same player for both tracks? ie. you need to listen to your reference track inside Reason in order to compare it to your source track - if you are listening to it in iTunes or something, then it's impossible to compare volumes. I'd be really surprised if your reference track (which is fully mastered, presumably) is much quieter than your unmastered source track.

Anyway, regardless of the volume differences between reference and source track, you will definitely need to volume match them before you can A/B them. So if you import that reference track into Reason, you can use the Big Meter to match it's RMS volume to your source track before A/Bing. A/Bing with big volume differences is impossible, as you are finding out.

I should also mention that while others may have a very different viewpoint, I don't think you should need to refer really often to a reference track while mixing. Using reference tracks is somewhat common while mastering, to match up a similar EQ curve. But during mixing I think it's probably best just to EQ and/or compress each track optimally without considering a reference track very much. Again, I'm not saying you are doing it wrong, but certainly many people mix tracks well with only minimal reference track use, if at all.

thank you

grizel
[/quote]

thanks for all of your insight jeremy, it is really helpful. i am embarrassed to say i was just referencing out of spotify/itunes :oops:

JeremyNSL

11 May 2017

Hey no worries. Yes, that makes sense. I'm guessing once you have put the ref track in Reason you'll notice it's actually plenty loud? Actually you may need to lower it's volume in order to A/B effectively.
grizelda wrote:
thanks for all of your insight jeremy, it is really helpful. i am embarrassed to say i was just referencing out of spotify/itunes :oops:
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

JeremyNSL

18 May 2017

New video up today! It's a deep dive into some advanced Kong tricks :)
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

JeremyNSL

15 Jun 2017

Next video is up! Create your own Pulveriser :)
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

Karim
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2017

JeremyNSL wrote:

Hey RT,

Just want to mention that our long-running Reason Wizardry video tutorial series is now on Youtube. There are about 25 episodes online already, and the few remaining that aren't already up will be posted later in 2017.

If you aren't already aware, Reason Wizardry is a series of advanced Reason sound design tutorials that was previously delivered to paid subscribers on a monthly basis. The episodes range from ~20 minutes to over 1 hour and the content is all pretty advanced.

The latest episode I've posted is above - create your own Pulveriser-style compressor using a Combinator!

If you'd like to check out the other videos, click the link below for the entire Wizardry playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... u6qBbvl65Z

I hope you find the content useful!
I'm Absolutely amazed by your videos and completely addicted!
Thanx a lot!
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

• Information