How to make an audio loop in Reason?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
subtractor101

29 Apr 2017

Hi,

This may be basic for some, but I still can't quite get this..Ok, I have imported a loop I had from a record. I tried to make it as close as I could in an audio editor, but I left some room at the ends. I imported it into an audio track..Now my question is I want to make the loop sync in time with the rest of the track and delete use only the parts of the loop and perhaps send it as a Rex Loop. How do I do this and also delete the unwanted front and end parts?

Thanks in advance:)

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

3 things Reason seriously needs when it comes to audio is Audiowarp, Tempo Detect and Fit to Tempo for audio. Makes life so much easier.

You could do with knowing the loops bpm or tempo first. Not sure how to do this with Reason. What is the loop? guitar, vocal, a drum loop?

Also, you want to make sure there's no gap (silence) at the beginning of the audio import too. If there is, chop it off so the loop begins bang on.
To do this, first make sure the audio loop / clip is at the beginning of the audio track / lane. Set the snap to 1/16th and zoom right in (make the wave big in the clip) using the + key or you can use the drag bar at the bottom of the sequencer. When you've zoomed right in, move the beginning of the clip from left to right very slowly and accurately till it hits the beginning of where the audio begins, if it looks as if it's going over the beginning of where the audio starts, try reducing the snap further to 1/32 then try again. Then once the clip starts at the very beginning of the where audio starts with no silence, you can try working out it's bpm / tempo.

So for the bpm, play the loop and try and find the tempo with your foot tapping or clapping to the tempo. Some people call this the pulse too. Once you've found the pulse or tempo rhythm in your head, you could play the loop for 15 seconds (timing it on a stopwatch) counting the pulse or beats as you go, then times the number you get by 4, or if it's not that long , play it for 5 seconds (counting) and times it by 12 to find out it's bpm.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

subtractor101

29 Apr 2017

Thanks..I'll try this..It's a synth loop and a drum loop..(house)..
I'm trying to do a remix.. I don't see why one can't just import the idea of the loop and use Reason like an audio editor to make the loop spot on and delete the parts not needed..There must be a way..
:)

westerben

05 Jun 2018

Solution right here:

RobC

05 Jun 2018

It's all about tails!

Made a topic about this not long ago.

Correction ~ not exactly about tails after all; didn't read the post fully, sorry.
Last edited by RobC on 06 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jun 2018

westerben wrote:
05 Jun 2018
Solution right here:
This works if you don't want REX files and are not sampling from records (the loops are already perfectly cut in this video). But I'm assuming this isn't true in your case?

There are two things you can do to samples from records etc. in Reason to "re-time" them: audio warp (as in the video above) and REX conversion (with or without audio warp).

First thing (before importing) is to set the song tempo to the desired final tempo of the loop - if it's a song you're already working on, you're good to go.

Now, go into Slice Edit mode. First thing is to find the slice that represents the first and last DOWN BEAT. Select these and select "Split at Slices". This quickly creates a nice trimmed version of the loop without having to zoom in etc, and works 99% of the time right off the bat.

Now you can delete the clips before and after the new clip you just created, and slide it to start at bar 1. From here you can scale the clip as in the video above, then you can convert to REX from there and import into Dr Octa Rex for a perfect looping REX file. Though once it's in time, you may not need to import into Dr OctRex unless you're using other features of that device.

This is a simplified explanation and assumes you understand the above concepts - if not, ask more questions (and you'll probably get a few different ways to accomplish what you want, since there isn't just one way of doing this in Reason).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information