Multiband Compression

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RequiemMachine

20 Apr 2017

I was looking to get your opinions and/or thoughts on implementing multiband compression in Reason. I've tried the few multiband REs, of which I like the Red Rock one most. That being said, I'm not sure if there is much benefit over once of them and say using a splitter RE and a few comps. On one hand, its pretty easy to drop a multi-comp RE and set it as opposed to wiring up one (yeah I could just save a combinator)...but the flexibility of being a le to use different compressors for each band on a per sound basis is going to lead to more work (which is no problem...the flexibility of routing is Reason's biggest strength imho). I do have a large collection of RE Compressors lol.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

riemac

20 Apr 2017

RequiemMachine wrote:I was looking to get your opinions and/or thoughts on implementing multiband compression in Reason. I've tried the few multiband REs, of which I like the Red Rock one most. That being said, I'm not sure if there is much benefit over once of them and say using a splitter RE and a few comps. On one hand, its pretty easy to drop a multi-comp RE and set it as opposed to wiring up one (yeah I could just save a combinator)...but the flexibility of being a le to use different compressors for each band on a per sound basis is going to lead to more work (which is no problem...the flexibility of routing is Reason's biggest strength imho). I do have a large collection of RE Compressors lol.

The Red Rock Multiband Compressor is very nice because of it's grafical interface, but I haven't bought it because it introduces a lot of latency (around 70 ms) and it's bandsplitters don't pass the null test.

Splex on the other hand has no latency and passes the null test, but has no grafical interface.

Oquasec

20 Apr 2017

For that I'll just stick to combinators and mclass.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jtw91

20 Apr 2017

I like to use AirRaid Audios Elements Splitter. It's Easier and tidier than the stereo imager and more functional, aswell as allowing you to use whatever compressors you want. Oh and it's free!

Loque

20 Apr 2017

Using a band splitter with different compressors introduces phasing, so i cannot recommend this. Always use the same compressors.

Every time added a multiband compressor i found myself having bad and muddy sound at all and never had satisfying results with a mbc. The best choice here is to go back and fix the mix, bus or sounds.

Using a mbc on a single sound or drum bus is something different, or if i want to shape a sound in the spectrum. Here i prefere compressor with dry wet.

Splitting frequencies is always difficult imo. Today i prefere a dynamic EQ instead of a compressor.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

24 Apr 2017

riemac wrote:
RequiemMachine wrote:I was looking to get your opinions and/or thoughts on implementing multiband compression in Reason. I've tried the few multiband REs, of which I like the Red Rock one most. That being said, I'm not sure if there is much benefit over once of them and say using a splitter RE and a few comps. On one hand, its pretty easy to drop a multi-comp RE and set it as opposed to wiring up one (yeah I could just save a combinator)...but the flexibility of being a le to use different compressors for each band on a per sound basis is going to lead to more work (which is no problem...the flexibility of routing is Reason's biggest strength imho). I do have a large collection of RE Compressors lol.

The Red Rock Multiband Compressor is very nice because of it's grafical interface, but I haven't bought it because it introduces a lot of latency (around 70 ms) and it's bandsplitters don't pass the null test.

Splex on the other hand has no latency and passes the null test, but has no grafical interface.
I recently got splex its 30$ and easy to use! Just wish there were more patches that came with it unless I overlooked something I only saw like 4 presets haha but it's mad easy to figure out :) its also great for running effects through it like distortion or a make shift 3 band spectral delay
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

RequiemMachine

25 Apr 2017

While I'll probably stick with what I've been doing with splitting...I may have to give Splex at least a trial. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

• Information