KIKBAK-like mini sound processing challenge, ...

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2017

I tend to use KIKBAK drum samples a lot on my tracks but I always like to think that I'm not dependent on any particular sound set.

So I'm inviting you guys to do the KIKBAK-like challenge with me.

The challenge is basically to create a chain of effects in Reason to process regular sounding 808 / acoustic drums into aggressive beasts +4dB!

Feel free to use Rack Extensions :re:

Now we need some clean samples to begin with or maybe we can just use Kong, Subtractor and Thor patches.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2017

Guess it's just me.

I'll keep you guys posted. I live about an hour from where I do my music and I'm uber busy. Might pop down there tomorrow to do some mixing, but if not tomorrow maybe the coming week.

The aim is to create a little more self sufficiency when it comes to drum sounds, but also to be better able to sculpt new sounds.

Oquasec

22 Apr 2017

I don't overthink stuff since I just use synth plugins for fake drums & drumkits for real ones if not using fm/additive synthesis.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

QVprod

23 Apr 2017

Sounds like and interesting challenge. I've used KIKBAK samples in the past. Beyond layering though, my drum processing is pretty minimal.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 May 2017

I've not forgotten about this. Just lugged my gear back home yesterday evening so I'll be doing a session tomorrow and share what I've come up with.

Wish me luck! I make no promises.

teddymcw

10 Nov 2017

avasopht wrote:
11 May 2017
I've not forgotten about this. Just lugged my gear back home yesterday evening so I'll be doing a session tomorrow and share what I've come up with.

Wish me luck! I make no promises.
I'm interested in this a bit since I need to work on my full understanding of drums.

Do you mean get one of the KIKBAK refills and have a go with stated 808 / ac to aggressive drums?

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2017

teddymcw wrote:
10 Nov 2017
I'm interested in this a bit since I need to work on my full understanding of drums.

Do you mean get one of the KIKBAK refills and have a go with stated 808 / ac to aggressive drums?
Well, what I'm doing right now is working with the FSB drums and creating processing chains so that I can eventually throw in drums almost willy-nilly and get a distinct retro sound.

teddymcw

10 Nov 2017

avasopht wrote:
teddymcw wrote:
10 Nov 2017

Well, what I'm doing right now is working with the FSB drums and creating processing chains so that I can eventually throw in drums almost willy-nilly and get a distinct retro sound.
Sounds cool and again something I personally need to sharpen. Will be looking forward to any samples or releases you come up with.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Nov 2017

teddymcw wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Sounds cool and again something I personally need to sharpen. Will be looking forward to any samples or releases you come up with.

Cheers
It's a humbling process. I'll release what I have so far on Saturday.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2017

Got so caught up making music I forgot to share the progress.

Here's the main foundation combinator which splits the audio at a tweakable threshold for further processing. It's a simple config but the aim was really to provide an effect to mimick the sort of "device sound" when driven too hard.

In this combinator it takes what's above the threshold and processes it through Scream's digital distortion, which adds subtle yet rich texture to plain drums.

Updated.
Attachments
AVASOPHT_threshold-damage-002.zip
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

moneykube

03 Dec 2017

thank-you... will check it tonight :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2017

moneykube wrote:
03 Dec 2017
thank-you... will check it tonight :thumbs_up:
Well, .. don't expect too much as this is really for the final step in the effects chain (to mimick recording to and playback from an old MPC), and I'm more sharing my current progress as I did promise to share something.

The aim is to create new, distinctive and current sounding drum kits from FSB samples.

Here's how it it sounds on plain drums from the FSB so far. I've still got to create specific chains to create the final kit (project file included).

Attachments
AVASOPHT_threshold-damage-002.zip
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

KIKBAK1

24 Dec 2017

So how is this coming along?
KIKBAK1.com

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2017

I've been uber busy this month, but I've mostly been tweaking the general chain and creating behavior like saturation / degradation proportional to RMS levels.

I'll put out an update this Sunday.

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2018

Status update.

My last session revealed a flaw in the approach (or more so, it was rather unimpressive) I had been taking to create a standardized chain, so it was very much a case of going back to the drawing board, while I've been a little swamped since then.

I don't think I'll be doing too much before March as I've got a lot of non-music work to do.

We'll see.

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2018

Here's my latest experiment with attached combinator.

It uses Selig Gain to handle the cross fade. Use the PAN L in the top "L" Selig-Gain to control cross fade for both L/R (should really just make this a knob on combinator).

I think I'll also change my experimentation process. I've noticed I tend to layer drums with the free C64 Refill, so maybe I'll create two chains - one for a medium/mild lo-fi processed sound, and another for a more aggressive lo-fi processed sound to layer the sound with.

Here's what the current chain sounds like when applied to basic FSB drums.

I think I'll also look for some cleaner drum sounds to start with, and add a control for the level of distortion as the drum samples already had a fair amount and as a result I went much easier on the distortion..
Attachments
20180204 - Drum chain.zip
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

• Information