How much parallel processing is too much?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MGB

01 Mar 2017

Recently I've taken to parallel processing in a big way. I've used parallel comp on my drums for a long time, but only recently begun to extend it to all sorts of sounds in my tunes.

Particularly I find it helpful with reverbs and delays as it allows one channel of dry signal and one of completely wet and the mix can be adjusted from there... But I'm at the stage now where I could easily have 7-8 different instruments with between one and three parallel channels on each. I EQ them so that they don't just double or triple up the signal... but I guess what I'm asking is, is this normal? And are there any unforeseen issues I'm going to have here? At the moment it really seems like a silver bullet for a lot of issues I was having, but I kind of don't want to get into a habit where I just rely on this to fix everything if it's not actually addressing deeper problems...

any and all advice/thoughts/opinions/general banter are welcome...

selig
RE Developer

01 Mar 2017

MGB wrote:Recently I've taken to parallel processing in a big way. I've used parallel comp on my drums for a long time, but only recently begun to extend it to all sorts of sounds in my tunes.

Particularly I find it helpful with reverbs and delays as it allows one channel of dry signal and one of completely wet and the mix can be adjusted from there... But I'm at the stage now where I could easily have 7-8 different instruments with between one and three parallel channels on each. I EQ them so that they don't just double or triple up the signal... but I guess what I'm asking is, is this normal? And are there any unforeseen issues I'm going to have here? At the moment it really seems like a silver bullet for a lot of issues I was having, but I kind of don't want to get into a habit where I just rely on this to fix everything if it's not actually addressing deeper problems...

any and all advice/thoughts/opinions/general banter are welcome...
If it sounds good, it IS good…

My thoughts…
Most use reverbs/delays in parallel, but with sends. I don't often use reverb on just one sound, but even when I do I almost always use a send.

I don't think I've ever used EQ on a parallel channel.

For many things, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same results. The best thing IMO is to choose the techniques that work best for you (simplest/quickest usually wins in my book).

Unless you're not happy with some aspect of this approach, I'd say "why change?".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

MGB

02 Mar 2017

Nice one Selig, yep will keep going - and also when I say I EQ them i just mean sometimes if I wanted to use distortion or reverb on only a certain section of the sound then I would eq to keep it cleaner... but otherwise everything gets routed back to a bus for the EQ process. Thanks!

• Information