Switching instrument without using mouse or computer keyboard

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
CookieClimber

27 Jan 2017

Hi. Does anybody know a decent way of changing instrument "on the fly" while jamming on your midi keyboard? Perhaps assigning one or more of the midi buttons to the instruments. It would be an awesome feature. I know it is possible with the zone method in this video:

But I want to have more than 4 instruments and dont want to route through a mixer. I'm thinking the newer versions of Reason might have a smart way of doing this that I have not yet found.

Loque

27 Jan 2017

Do you want to load different patches or switch between several instruments already loaded?

May it be ok, if they are in one Combinator? Than you can "solo" them or there is a tricky way to toggle several CV signals contrling the solo-ing of the instrument, but cant remember how - i guess it was something done with the Vocoder, but cannot remember the details atm.
Reason12, Win10

Olivier

27 Jan 2017

Provided you have a button left on your controller that you can assign to it, you can switch to the next and previous track.
Your master keyboard will follow this selection. Then all you have to do is setup the different sounds you need on subsequent channels.

Click Options and open "Additional Remote Overrides"
Find "Target Previous Track" and "Target Next Track" ..
Select either of them and click edit. The rest is self explanatory.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Loque

27 Jan 2017

Olivier wrote:Provided you have a button left on your controller that you can assign to it, you can switch to the next and previous track.
Your master keyboard will follow this selection. Then all you have to do is setup the different sounds you need on subsequent channels.

Click Options and open "Additional Remote Overrides"
Find "Target Previous Track" and "Target Next Track" ..
Select either of them and click edit. The rest is self explanatory.
Nice tip, didn't knew that
Reason12, Win10

CookieClimber

27 Jan 2017

Additional remote overrides solved it for me! I even found out it was already assigned to two of the buttons by default on my MPK49! Thanks!

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2017

Switching tracks from my controller is what I've always done, works like a charm!
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

27 Jan 2017

This is one of the functions the Nektar Panorama does well and I use quite a bit: it has native up and down buttons for BOTH track changing in the sequencer and patch loading for the selected instrument. (It's consecutive, of course, but pre-planning ensures correct loading)

• Information