PSQ-1684 Showroom - Let's go modular

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

There are so many great ways to use PSQ. New to it and intrigued. This thread should become a reference on how to get creative with PSQ-1684. I'd also love to take the change on advancing into modular setups or totally creative new directions. Just everything PSQ and modular related to reason and/or PSQ

First things first. Go and read the operation manual. After that, play at least an evening or weekend to just explore. It's defenitely worth it or start watching the tutorials and reading the HowTos

Post here, your

- Reasonfiles and combinators
- Questions about useage
- Tutorials
- Links to external resources
- Youtube videos

I'll keep this very first post updated, starting the next couple of days by searching the forum first.

-------------------------

SONGS/TOOLS/TEMPLATES
COMBINATORS
VIDEOS
HOW TO/USAGE
Last edited by theshoemaker on 18 Jan 2017, edited 14 times in total.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Peter

12 Jan 2017

Subscribed! I've only scratched the surface after doing my first track with it last weekend for the EP challenge and I'm looking forward to going deeper! Thanks!

chimp_spanner

12 Jan 2017

Subscribed, and hopefully will contribute at some point :)

kungubu

12 Jan 2017

Subscribed.

Just to get things started... here's a very simple psq patch, nothing fancy at all. Actually psq is just used as a clock- and cv-source to get a kind of tweakable ratcheting percussion machine.
The problem with psq-projects is that they tend to get rather complicated. Its easy to wire upp too many combinators to one psq and get quite lost among all the sequences and pulses that are running – especially when you return to the project after a while. Therefore I've started to force myself not to use all the outs of one device...
The patch was made on R7, on low bpm and besides psq, it uses echobode and cv select switch...
Attachments
PSQ_KPSP.zip
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

kungubu wrote:Subscribed.

Just to get things started... here's a very simple psq patch, nothing fancy at all. Actually psq is just used as a clock- and cv-source to get a kind of tweakable ratcheting percussion machine.
The problem with psq-projects is that they tend to get rather complicated. Its easy to wire upp too many combinators to one psq and get quite lost among all the sequences and pulses that are running – especially when you return to the project after a while. Therefore I've started to force myself not to use all the outs of one device...
The patch was made on R7, on low bpm and besides psq, it uses echobode and cv select switch...
Understand what you mean. And that is also the beauty of modular stuff ... loosing yourself in the wiring. But I agree. Would love to see something more advanced for User Interfacing and hiding the cabling. Combinator V2 as a lot request. To build modular user defined UIs. Really looking forward to V3 with the modulation matrix added to PSQ.

Here is a new zip of your combinator. Was able to unzip on MacOS.

Btw. Great use of the CV switch. Still on my todo to use it. Actually a good example.
Attachments
PSQ_KSP.zip
(5.56 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

Here is a tool for finding some percussive rhythms. PSQ doesn't need to be setup complicated in order to be usefull. This is a simple example.

Malström (Keybased percussion) driven by a simple sequence.

Parts used: A1 > S1: W1-W8, Q1
Rotaries controlling A1 modifiers for the rhytmic part

I call her the "Percussion Session Queen" or short PSQx2
Attachments
Percussion Session Queen.cmb.zip
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

ejanuska

12 Jan 2017

Just thought I would link to my previous PSQ post which has a nice combi.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7498086

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

ejanuska wrote:Just thought I would link to my previous PSQ post which has a nice combi.

OMG, hell yes. This one made me go like :o :shock: when I listened to the first time. That's great work. Guys make sure to checkout this stuff. Your patch was my motivation to create this thread to get a collection going on.

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

Again a very simple and obvious demo. This one is more like an upload as a request from the Sunder threat.

Just a Grid out setup for driving Kong. The really cool stuff from this one here is Sunder morphing the sound with all the effects. Polar, Acid and khs Reverser have some quite nice effect on this loop, as well as the Reverb. Used the Teenage Engeneering Drums ReFill for Kong

Sunder in the Djungle.cmb.zip
(15.12 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

ejanuska

12 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
OMG, hell yes. This one made me go like :o :shock: when I listened to the first time. That's great work. Guys make sure to checkout this stuff. Your patch was my motivation to create this thread to get a collection going on.
Got more on the way...

ejanuska

12 Jan 2017

ejanuska wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:
Thanks.
Got more on the way...
Last edited by ejanuska on 13 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

12 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
Wow that is wicked! :thumbs_up:
theshoemaker wrote:
Sounds great!

dvdrtldg

12 Jan 2017

I'd love to read a clear explanation of exactly what's happening in Shift Register and Klee modes. I mean I can use these and get pleasing results, but exactly what's going on under the hood is a bit mystifying. The manual doesn't really explain it in a way that I can understand

Galaxy

12 Jan 2017

This is a great thread! Be interesting to see how others use this Rack Extension.

rcbuse
RE Developer

12 Jan 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:I'd love to read a clear explanation of exactly what's happening in Shift Register and Klee modes. I mean I can use these and get pleasing results, but exactly what's going on under the hood is a bit mystifying. The manual doesn't really explain it in a way that I can understand
So a shift register is just an array of bits that gets shifted and wrapped around when clocked.
1000 -> 0100 -> 0010 -> 0001 -> 1000 -> 0100 -> 0010 -> 0001 -> .... and on
Bits parameter sets the length of that pattern.
Pattern parameter sets the initial configuration of bits when reset.

So, what the hell good is that.. well, you can do two interesting things with that rotating bit pattern.

The first is run that bit pattern though a Digital to "Analog" converter. The sequencer then samples and holds that value when clocked, and thats it. Instead of taking the value from all the value knobs, it just takes it from whatever the value of the shift register is.

The 2nd thing is run the sequencer in klee mode. wtf is klee mode? Well, think of the plain old matrix sequencer. The matrix outputs a value corresponding to whatever the current position of the playhead is. Now imagine the the matrix has multiple playheads. Now take the value from each playhead and add it together. Thats a klee sequencer, multiple playheads. All the PSQ does is map the above rotating bit pattern to its playheads on the sequencer, instead of one, you get multiple.

ejanuska

13 Jan 2017

rcbuse wrote: The 2nd thing is run the sequencer in klee mode. wtf is klee mode? Well, think of the plain old matrix sequencer. The matrix outputs a value corresponding to whatever the current position of the playhead is. Now imagine the the matrix has multiple playheads. Now take the value from each playhead and add it together. Thats a klee sequencer, multiple playheads. All the PSQ does is map the above rotating bit pattern to its playheads on the sequencer, instead of one, you get multiple.
Could you explain a little more about the adding? I was wondering what happens when addition overflows, this is what happened.
I was using a sequence with Y1 - Y7 levels set at 50.0, Two SR bits, no quantizing.

Looking at it on a CV analyzer I get three values, depending on what bits are shifted in, 0, 16, 32.

If I shorten the sequence to Y1 - Y3 only one of the two bits gets shifted in and I only get two values, 0 and 64.

Why are the values different? Are the values getting scaled to prevent addition overflow?

In a way it doesn't matter since its going to get run through a quantizer but, just wondering.
Thanks for your time.

rcbuse
RE Developer

13 Jan 2017

ejanuska wrote:
rcbuse wrote: The 2nd thing is run the sequencer in klee mode. wtf is klee mode? Well, think of the plain old matrix sequencer. The matrix outputs a value corresponding to whatever the current position of the playhead is. Now imagine the the matrix has multiple playheads. Now take the value from each playhead and add it together. Thats a klee sequencer, multiple playheads. All the PSQ does is map the above rotating bit pattern to its playheads on the sequencer, instead of one, you get multiple.
Could you explain a little more about the adding? I was wondering what happens when addition overflows, this is what happened.
I was using a sequence with Y1 - Y7 levels set at 50.0, Two SR bits, no quantizing.

Looking at it on a CV analyzer I get three values, depending on what bits are shifted in, 0, 16, 32.

If I shorten the sequence to Y1 - Y3 only one of the two bits gets shifted in and I only get two values, 0 and 64.

Why are the values different? Are the values getting scaled to prevent addition overflow?

In a way it doesn't matter since its going to get run through a quantizer but, just wondering.
Thanks for your time.
Yea, those added values get really big, so if you see on the back, there is a button (enabled by default) called 'Klee Mode Scale', which will scale the added values into a usable range based on the shift register bits parameter. More bits, more playheads, more values added, the greater the reduction.

Testing showed the following formula to work well for the scaling:

if ( KleeScaleEnabled and Bits > 5 ) Value = Value * (2.0 / Bits)

kungubu

13 Jan 2017

I'll add another version of the cmb without EchoBode – a more standard Ratchet Seq just playing a Thor and without odd time divisions. The First row of the cv-rotaries on psq control the note values. The other 3 rows control the ratchet amount. It seems like you can't control the pulse source of a seq from the combinator (I can't find out how anyway) ... so you have to do that on the psq.

Would be fun to se more psq cmb, just to se how people are using it. I'm still on R7 though, so I guess I will have a problem there...
Attachments
SEQ_PSQ_Ratchet.cmb.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

ejanuska

13 Jan 2017

kungubu wrote:I'll add another version of the cmb without EchoBode – a more standard Ratchet Seq just playing a Thor and without odd time divisions. The First row of the cv-rotaries on psq control the note values. The other 3 rows control the ratchet amount. It seems like you can't control the pulse source of a seq from the combinator (I can't find out how anyway) ... so you have to do that on the psq.

Would be fun to se more psq cmb, just to se how people are using it. I'm still on R7 though, so I guess I will have a problem there...
Somehow I missed a free RE, the Select CV Switch in this patch. Thanks

theshoemaker

15 Jan 2017

Here is another setup. Ambient Bells. It is an ambient scaper to create some atmosphere. There is plenty of documentation inside the patch itself.

The main driving force for modulation is W1 to X8 which trigger the Bands of a vocoder, which in turn connect to CV delay mergers and splitters to drive modulation on the devices. The sequences S1-S8 (which mostly are random) are driven by a couple of pads distributed on the grid, namely A1, B2, C3, D4, A2, D1. S1-S8 are also routed to a Select CVSSWITCH. The random selection for the Switch output is triggered by the CV note signal of S3.

Feel free to play around with and enhance. This one is built only with stock devices and free ones.

Ambient Bells.cmb.zip
(15.24 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

Instruments
- Thor
- Malström
- Subtractor

Utilities
- PSQ-1684
- MIRANDA CV Delay Merger
- LOLTH CV Delay Merger
- Polymodular CV Spitter
- 14:2 Mixer
- Select CV Switch
- TMA 1, TMA 4

Effects
- Vocoder
- RV7000 MkII
- khs Delay
- khs Chorus
- Alligator
- Pulveriser
- Audiomatic

ejanuska

17 Jan 2017

I put this together today. All Stock REs except the PSQ-1684.
Combi Button 4 set to run.
Hold a note.

Not a big deal but kind of neat.
Auto 5 Pad Evolution.zip
(90.54 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

moneykube

17 Jan 2017

thanx
:puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

theshoemaker

18 Jan 2017

Here is another simple but very rewarding setup I created for getting up and running in notime for sketching ideas. First I created a combinator, but that's rather limiting. So I refactored it into a template as it is rather time consuming to set this up every time. Here is a nice blog post about templates if you haven't used them by now.

PSQ as sequencer, connected to 4 instruments in separate racks. Below the sequencer in the rack the drums, connected to the grid out with a simple, yet moving 4 on the floor beat. Preset devices are Thor instances. Mine is setup with PX7 instances, as they are quite awesome to use for the type of music I want to create with this template. Each Mix Channel has a shortcut assigned. It's number 1 to 4 for the synths to solo them. And the drums with 0. Shift+<Number> bypasses the FX for quick comparison. The only thing left is a good remote controller for PSQ. I may create a remote map for quneo or a Lemur template in the future.

Go and download the free presets from Panda for the stock devices if you haven't. They do an amazing job for this kind of explorative creation with PSQ!

In each Mix Channel there is an FX Insert preset I called "Sundwich" with Sunder included, devided by a TMA-1 with color coding the Band. Each band preset with a Scream4 device to tape compression. This is a default "Init Patch" which already gives some nice grit to the sound. But it's really just for convenience as a quick setup. The real purpose is to just drag and drop another FX onto it to have a ready audio routing for it. Then after wards you can drag and drop FX below, as Thunder doesn't have auto routing for FX like the Mix Channel. At least I'm not aware of.

Below every mix channel, between the instrument device, there is a CV splitter. I used the gate or the note CV to open up the High Band of Sunder for more dynamic effects, or just to drive some triggers or move parameters base on the Note CV. Take your time to drop in new effects and adjust Sunder properly (very rewarding sound wise, no matter wether it is a synth or drums).

That being said Rob aka rcbuse aka Lectric Panda .. I want PSQ V3 so bad!

I'm going to incorporate some of the ideas of ejanuska from his combinator later when I had a look at what he did there :lol: . I think a template is more powerfull in this regard.
ejanuska wrote:Just thought I would link to my previous PSQ post which has a nice combi.

Anyone here already having a song template to share?
Attachments
Sundwich.cmb.zip
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Litening and Sunder.reason.zip
(451.38 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

28 Jan 2017

I'm looking for a few V2 users that want to be beta testers for PSQ-1684 V3.

Thanks everyone for responding, we have enough testers now.
Last edited by rcbuse on 29 Jan 2017, edited 2 times in total.

EnochLight

28 Jan 2017

rcbuse wrote:I'm looking for a few V2 users that want to be beta testers for PSQ-1684 V3. Send me a PM with your reason username and I'll get you access to the Lectric Panda Beta Forum.
Will this be an SDK 2.5 (Reason 9.2 needed) update?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information