Triggering Kong with Audio

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
SESSTank

05 Nov 2016

Evening all.
I have a query regards triggering pads on the Kong via an audio signal. This is a project that I started playing about with a while ago and have recently come back to.
So the situation is...

Got a live drum kit recorded but the snare sound isn't great. All the usual processing and editing tricks aren't fixing it, sounds like a faulty mic/cable used during capture (not done by me I'd like to add). So what I'd like to try is taking the snare signal and using it to trigger a decent snare sound on the Kong, either pre installed or a sample of my own. I could programme a new snare part manually onto a Kong track but would have to replicate the complete part, and it was clearly a very 'busy' drummer. I did find a video on this a while back but it was really complicated.

Any ideas/guidance/posting in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

QVprod

05 Nov 2016

Here's the simplest tutorial.

There are also some old (before Reason 6) tutorials on the Propellerhead Youtube channel from James Benard

Logismos

05 Nov 2016

SESSTank wrote:Any ideas/guidance/posting in the right direction would be great.
Thanks
Yes- i had ideas on this subject many times,and discovered there's a few ways to accomplish these types of triggers.
Other than already shown video,just a standard compressor+eq isolation, can do the same thing,but with certain compression devices,one can gain more control over signal strength/impact and durations for hit (drums+synths) triggering.

If it's possible for user to create,or simply use existing rex files- i made a couple of groovy combi's that make dr.octorex+rpg8+kong > sing as one.
As i was making these combi's,i stumbled upon the bizarre realization of making the rpg8 go in reverse! = which lead me to create a suitable rex <to> kong triggering system.
Will provide links if you wish. :post:

SESSTank

05 Nov 2016

That tutorial video is brilliant QVprod. So simple compared to what I watched previously. I seem to recall the video I found before requiring something to do with flipping the inserts/comp/eq routing on the mixer channels as well as lots of other steps that I dont really remember. I'll try this out for real over the weekend and see how it goes.

I'm relatively new to reason and have mainly used it as a recording suite to replace my old Akai DR16, running along side an Akai MPC2000 and Logic, all synced via MIDI time code) setup so haven't ventured much past recording audio and applying effects and processors so learning Reasons options for routing and tying devices together etc is keeping me good and busy. At least I worked out side chain compression on a dance track I was working on without the help menu :D

SESSTank

05 Nov 2016

Logismos wrote:
SESSTank wrote:Any ideas/guidance/posting in the right direction would be great.
Thanks
Yes- i had ideas on this subject many times,and discovered there's a few ways to accomplish these types of triggers.
Other than already shown video,just a standard compressor+eq isolation, can do the same thing,but with certain compression devices,one can gain more control over signal strength/impact and durations for hit (drums+synths) triggering.

If it's possible for user to create,or simply use existing rex files- i made a couple of groovy combi's that make dr.octorex+rpg8+kong > sing as one.
As i was making these combi's,i stumbled upon the bizarre realization of making the rpg8 go in reverse! = which lead me to create a suitable rex <to> kong triggering system.
Will provide links if you wish. :post:
Any links you have would be great thanks. As per my reply in the main thread, this side of Reason is all quite new to me and I've not really looked at the DrOctorex or the RPG8 at all so a starting point with an outcome would be really useful to fully grasp how to do stuff and more importantly why it works.

Marco Raaphorst

05 Nov 2016

Pulveriser is slow. It's better to use Thor's audio to CV for these sort of things. Just route Audio input to CV using the Thor matrix.

QVprod

05 Nov 2016

SESSTank wrote:That tutorial video is brilliant QVprod. So simple compared to what I watched previously. I seem to recall the video I found before requiring something to do with flipping the inserts/comp/eq routing on the mixer channels as well as lots of other steps that I dont really remember. I'll try this out for real over the weekend and see how it goes.

I'm relatively new to reason and have mainly used it as a recording suite to replace my old Akai DR16, running along side an Akai MPC2000 and Logic, all synced via MIDI time code) setup so haven't ventured much past recording audio and applying effects and processors so learning Reasons options for routing and tying devices together etc is keeping me good and busy. At least I worked out side chain compression on a dance track I was working on without the help menu :D
Glad it helped. there are multiple ways of accomplishing it with different devices, but this was definitely the simplest way without having to know devices well. Ultimately most methods come down to triggering with cv.

That's quite the change. Software is an entirely different game once you get used to it. I first learned on an MPC 2000xl, then I got introduced to FL Studio and I've preferred the ease of software ever since (I don't use FL anymore). I get that people just like the vibe of groove boxes though.

Logismos

06 Nov 2016

quote= "As per my reply in the main thread, this side of Reason is all quite new to me and I've not really looked at the DrOctorex or the RPG8 at all so a starting point with an outcome would be really useful to fully grasp how to do stuff and more importantly why it works."

^
Here you go m8 -> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nadmgp ... oaz/shared
See if they work for you.
Notes: I think the 2 combi's load as -instruments- depends on routing perhaps.
Learn kong keyranges,and then play some 'chords' of them notes (kong drum triggers)
These replacers are not really what your after,but they can be modded for that purpose.
If you can make a rex file of your drum track- you can just cut,delete,or mute,and then replace snares,hit w/e that way also.

+If you actually take a closer look at the wiring+dial trims and programming-it may help you understand the what's and why's and when's of which there are many wonders! >using reason. =)
Enjoy,or not.. ;)

• Information