White Noise Woosh Problem

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

18 Oct 2016

Hi All!

A problem I get quite often with a white noise sweep or woosh, is that when I automate the frequency cut-off, when it get towards the top, the sound becomes thin.

I don't think I've yet perfected a really decent white noise sweep / woosh that I'm totally happy with.

How do I stop this?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

18 Oct 2016

What type of filter are you using?

A way to combat this maybe use compression, so fully open filtered signal is squashed quieter, then as the filter cuts the low frequencies the level raises automatically.

Alternatively do it the poorman's compressor.... fader ride manually, so the 'full' signal is quieter and you turn it up as you do your sweep upwards with the filter.

Thing is, high frequencies do sound thin anyway compared to lower sub and mid frequencies.... why not try adding a reverb or delay effect on top so as you cut the lows you mix in more of the chosen effect to 'enhance' the thinner sound? Making sounds have more 'ear candy' can take a plain jane / vanilla sounds and turn it into an audio strumpet :D

May look into doing a quick vid post on this, to give you guys something to play with

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2016

Creativemind wrote:Hi All!

A problem I get quite often with a white noise sweep or woosh, is that when I automate the frequency cut-off, when it get towards the top, the sound becomes thin.

I don't think I've yet perfected a really decent white noise sweep / woosh that I'm totally happy with.

How do I stop this?
If I'm following you correctly, this is typical LP filter type response when using high resonance settings. The fix is either don't use resonance or use a filter type that is not subject to this effect, such as the Sallen Key filter in Antidote. Or you can compensate for this by raising the level as you sweep up, or lowering resonance as you sweep up.

To see this effect in action, open the filter all the way with no resonance (on a noise source) and then slowly add resonance while watching the spectrum display. As you increase resonance, watch the level of frequencies within pass band (all the frequencies below the cutoff on a LP filter) get lower in level.

Hope this helps!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

18 Oct 2016

Was looking up what that Sallen Key Filter is in Antidote and then found it's a very nice synth the Antidote, beasty.

On Wikipedia a Sallen Key Filter just quite literally blew my head away with mathematical voltage jargon lol!

It's a kind of low pass filter?

According to the Synapse page in the shop it says the filters are OTA Low-Pass filters. What does OTA mean?

On the Antidote itself it says Lowpass 1 Pole, Lowpass 2 pole up to 4 pole etc. Just learnt something new, 1 pole means a cutoff slope of 6dB an octave, 2 pole is 12dB an octave, 3 pole is 18dB per octave and 4 pole is 24dB an octave.

Interesting. They say you should learn something new everyday.

Acrtually, reading the following article I've linked, what I said may not be strictly true.

http://sound.stackexchange.com/question ... o-a-filter
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2016

Creativemind wrote:Was looking up what that Sallen Key Filter is in Antidote and then found it's a very nice synth the Antidote, beasty.

On Wikipedia a Sallen Key Filter just quite literally blew my head away with mathematical voltage jargon lol!

It's a kind of low pass filter?

According to the Synapse page in the shop it says the filters are OTA Low-Pass filters. What does OTA mean?

On the Antidote itself it says Lowpass 1 Pole, Lowpass 2 pole up to 4 pole etc. Just learnt something new, 1 pole means a cutoff slope of 6dB an octave, 2 pole is 12dB an octave, 3 pole is 18dB per octave and 4 pole is 24dB an octave.

Interesting. They say you should learn something new everyday.

Acrtually, reading the following article I've linked, what I said may not be strictly true.

http://sound.stackexchange.com/question ... o-a-filter
OTA is a form of op amp used in analog filter design. I'm not more familiar than that, but there's plenty of information out there for the curious!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2016

Thin either happens for the reason Selig is suggesting in that Resonance on classic Moog-style filters (like Thor) causes the overall output from the filter to decrease making the sound seem thinner. Antidote's Sallen Key (MS-20) or Subtractor's filters keep and equal volume. Of course you can do what Selig said and raise the volume and or push into a Compressor.

OR

You may be experiencing Masking where one sound hides another. The human ear is more attuned to higher Freqs (esp in the speech intelligibility area) so as you add more by opening the filter your brain focuses more on those and discards the bass is less important. In that case either don't open the filter as far or use a darker noise type; Pink etc.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information