Playing Keyboard

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
ThisIsNotTheMusic

05 Oct 2016

I am learning to play music from scratch. I could have started this 20 years ago, but now is as good a time as any. I have been playing guitar on and off for a little while, and that is progressing well. I'm picking up a bit of music theory along the way, which is much needed. I wanted to find out if anyone had some tips on some good, but simple keyboard tutorials. I started with the players, just playing notes that sounded ok together, but quickly realised I needed a more natural sound. I now prefer to play naturally and don't use the players so much, although they can add layers and complexity.

I found the link below and it was very useful. It made me realise I need a 49 key midi not a 25, as this is too limiting. It also showed me how to play 4 simple chords that are incredibly easy and also are easy to 'write' with (read 'make it up as you go along'). I created my track 'White Keys Inverse' using this tutorial in about an hour - its on my Soundcloud as an example. Anyway, I thought I would share the link for novice keyboard players like myself, and invite others to share their favourite resources. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

QVprod

05 Oct 2016

I'd suggest buying at least a 61 key. 49keys is also very limiting for playing keyboard.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

05 Oct 2016

I have a very small space for my studio, 49 keys will be pushing it, but I'll think about the advice - cheers!

edx500

14 Oct 2016

I've been playing keyboards for 40 years, but for my Reason setup I usually record with a Korg Nano. I also noticed a Salazar brothers video awhile back where he was using the same keyboard i use to lay drum and bass parts.
Like you, i have limited space so go with what you got. FWIW i do occaisionally setup my Roland FA08 to lay piano parts for a few hours, but it just dosen't work for me to leave it setup much. If I had a huge room I'd setup all five synths i own, but unfortunately it will probably remain the nano for a long time to come.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

14 Oct 2016

I had the Korg Nano, pretty sweet little device, but swapped it for an Akai MPK Mini which has a nicer feel, and pads etc. If I was left to my own devices, pretty soon the whole house would turn into a recording studio.

Gardinski

14 Oct 2016

QVprod wrote:I'd suggest buying at least a 61 key. 49keys is also very limiting for playing keyboard.
I'd agree with this advice. 49 keys is the absolute minimum, but having 61 keys makes a huge difference. I understand that it takes up an extra foot of space, but if you can possibly manage it, you will reap huge rewards. To me, a 49 key instrument is workable, but it feels slightly cramped. (Whichever you go for though, it's definitely going to feel like a huge improvement after struggling with 25 keys!)

Having the best quality keyboard you can afford will pay huge dividends. I'm a guitarist first and foremost, and keyboards were always something of a stumbling block for me, but since I switched up to the Nektar P6 last year, my progress has been rapid. Unimaginably so, in fact! I'm starting to feel almost as fluid on keys as I do on lead guitar. The feel of the keys on the P6 is so much more 'musically rewarding' than any other keyboard I've played previously. There's just the right level of 'springiness'. That might not sound like an essential for you just now, but trust me - once you get the hang of it, it feels like your fingers are dancing. It really encourages exploration and experimentation.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

14 Oct 2016

I'm liking the sound of that. Learning a musical instrument can be so frustrating, but when you have a breakthrough, unimaginably rewarding. It doesn't make sense to limit yourself with your instrument ... I might need a bigger studio!

• Information