How to route Kong bus for Kong 16outs template

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MitchClark89

17 Aug 2016

Hello all,

Another annoying question from yours truly :oops:

lately i have been trying to experiment with breaking out each of the kong pads to its own channel and using the kong bus to manage them all. i am doing this as i would like to have more control over each particular pad sound/sample.

i downloaded a template/patch from learnreason but for the life of me i cannot get the audio signals/levels from the kong pad channels to show up in the SSL mixer. they will play fine when triggered but there is no sound registering on their mixer channels.

i think it is something to do with the outputs from the pad channels and the kong bus as none of them are routed anywhere, and the kong bus doesnt have any cables at all..there is also no way to patch pads 1 and 2 that i can see.. i have attached screenshots to show you what i mean. or perhaps the patch is incomplete, i dont know for sure.

i have spent a week on and off trying to google the answer of how the pads and kong should be wired but i am not finding anything.

i would be grateful for any helps and as always

thanks

mitchc89

MassiveSoundStudios

17 Aug 2016

You need to set the pad outputs in Kong (look for a drop down menu at the bottom of the device "main output" for example) and use hard panning (in Kong) left and right to get each pad to output to its own mixer channel.

I hope this helps :)

Jan 2004

MitchClark89

18 Aug 2016

MassiveSoundStudios wrote:You need to set the pad outputs in Kong (look for a drop down menu at the bottom of the device "main output" for example) and use hard panning (in Kong) left and right to get each pad to output to its own mixer channel.

I hope this helps :)
hey man yes that is a big help! i havent actually tried to play the pads yet but i looked at the dropdown box you mean and the output was routed to master FX. i am sure this will work and i am eager to try it soon. do pads 1 and 2 get routed L/R main output?

thank you for your helpful advice :thumbs_up:

MassiveSoundStudios

18 Aug 2016

You will see stereo pair outputs in that drop down menu. So outputs 1/2 are the main outputs (aka master fx, because they route through the master fx).

You'll see; master fx (1/2), 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16. Use the pan parameter for each pad to get mono pad outputs. Hard left for odd number outputs and hard right for even number outputs.

Oh and btw, you can route any pad to any output you want, so you can route multiple pads to a stereo pair of you like. :)

Jan 2004

MitchClark89

18 Aug 2016

MassiveSoundStudios wrote:You will see stereo pair outputs in that drop down menu. So outputs 1/2 are the main outputs (aka master fx, because they route through the master fx).

You'll see; master fx (1/2), 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16. Use the pan parameter for each pad to get mono pad outputs. Hard left for odd number outputs and hard right for even number outputs.

Oh and btw, you can route any pad to any output you want, so you can route multiple pads to a stereo pair of you like. :)
just wanted to say thanks again for your advice and help - it worked! :D im stoked to have finally resolved this issue.

cheers man

MC

XysteR

23 Aug 2016

I have all of my Kong pads out to their own 16 individual channels, all 16 routed to a mix bus then to a parallel channel. I used splitters to get each pad channel stereo - The channels I don't want to be stereo, I just turn down the width on the SSL.

selig
RE Developer

23 Aug 2016

XysteR wrote:I have all of my Kong pads out to their own 16 individual channels, all 16 routed to a mix bus then to a parallel channel. I used splitters to get each pad channel stereo - The channels I don't want to be stereo, I just turn down the width on the SSL.
Did you realize this is totally redundant routing? You're not making the channels "stereo". You're not doing anything at all with this routing except for creating a lot more cables… ;)

The channels routed like this (with the splitters) are STILL 100% mono - which also means that turning down the Width won't change a thing.

In other words, taking a single cable into a Mix Channel will give you EXACTLY the same results as what you're doing. A classic "null test" will prove this if you're still not convinced…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

XysteR

23 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
XysteR wrote:I have all of my Kong pads out to their own 16 individual channels, all 16 routed to a mix bus then to a parallel channel. I used splitters to get each pad channel stereo - The channels I don't want to be stereo, I just turn down the width on the SSL.
Did you realize this is totally redundant routing? You're not making the channels "stereo". You're not doing anything at all with this routing except for creating a lot more cables… ;)

The channels routed like this (with the splitters) are STILL 100% mono - which also means that turning down the Width won't change a thing.

In other words, taking a single cable into a Mix Channel will give you EXACTLY the same results as what you're doing. A classic "null test" will prove this if you're still not convinced…
;)
Yeah i understand its 1 mono signal going in and splitting to 2 mono signals coming out, so still mono - but I like cables and I want to see a visual metered representation of any panning in the mixer instead of individually panning pads in kong.

*EDIT* yes sorry, my mistake - width won't effect them.

selig
RE Developer

23 Aug 2016

XysteR wrote:
selig wrote:

;)
Yeah i understand its 1 mono signal going in and splitting to 2 mono signals coming out, so still mono - but I like cables and I want to see a visual metered representation of any panning in the mixer instead of individually panning pads in kong.

The pan knob shows you where the signal is panned, right (and it does so even when there's no audio and when the transport is stopped)? ;)
That's a lot of extra cables just to duplicate that information in the meters…but no harm in doing so, as I doubt the CPU hit is going to be all that big (there will of course be SOME CPU hit for this…).
Selig Audio, LLC

XysteR

23 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
XysteR wrote:
selig wrote:

;)

The pan knob shows you where the signal is panned, right (and it does so even when there's no audio and when the transport is stopped)? ;)
That's a lot of extra cables just to duplicate that information in the meters…but no harm in doing so, as I doubt the CPU hit is going to be all that big (there will of course be SOME CPU hit for this…).
Yeah the pan knobs show notches. You're right though, the CPU usage in doing this has little or no difference, I'm used to seeing it now so it's hardly worth me changing it lol

8cros

24 Aug 2016

XysteR wrote:
Yeah the pan knobs show notches. You're right though, the CPU usage in doing this has little or no difference, I'm used to seeing it now so it's hardly worth me changing it lol
You underestimate optimizing.
Sixteen spiders are not very rational. IMHO.
And it seems to me that the mixer 14: 2 is ideal for your target.
Kong has compressor and filter and the mixer 14: 2 has an equalizer.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Audiotic

24 Apr 2017

Sorry for digging this out, but I think my issue fits perfectly in here.
I recently started routing all Drum Channels to dedicated SSL channels as described here (btw, if you're not already doing this, start now... amazing how much easier/more effective drum mixing becomes).

The problem:

everytime I load a new sample to a Pad, the output (of that Pad) resets to MasterFX.
Is there a way to set the default for each pad, so I can load samples without switching the output?

Thanks for feedback... and sorry if this has been discussed anywhere else....

QVprod

24 Apr 2017

Audiotic wrote:Sorry for digging this out, but I think my issue fits perfectly in here.
I recently started routing all Drum Channels to dedicated SSL channels as described here (btw, if you're not already doing this, start now... amazing how much easier/more effective drum mixing becomes).

The problem:

everytime I load a new sample to a Pad, the output (of that Pad) resets to MasterFX.
Is there a way to set the default for each pad, so I can load samples without switching the output?

Don't drag the sample directly to the pad. Open the drop down and drag it to the NN-nano.

Audiotic

24 Apr 2017

QVprod wrote:
Audiotic wrote:Sorry for digging this out, but I think my issue fits perfectly in here.

The problem:

Don't drag the sample directly to the pad. Open the drop down and drag it to the NN-nano.
Right... good tip, Thank You! I'll have to get used to this, but it definitely beats re-setting the output every time! ;)

• Information