Control multiple Redrum patterns via Keyboard

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dioxide

15 Aug 2016

Here is a technique I've been trying to figure out. It allows you to control the pattern selection of one or more Redrums by using a keyboard using only stock devices. The file is a R8 file and it uses Skope but only for visualisation, so it doesn't matter if you don't have it.

It is close but not perfect. The CV values that come out of Thor are a little irregular, which means that not every key triggers a pattern properly, so F and F# trigger the same pattern. You'd think that having 12 possible CV values coming out of Thor mapped to 12 patterns would work, but the method I use means that the CV values aren't 12 equal divisions. Anyway, if you are able to improve on this, please do so! The Delay and EQ devices are only used as CV meters to make it easier to see what it going on.
Attachments
Redrums controlled by Keyboard.zip
R8 file
(110.22 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Stranger.

15 Aug 2016

dioxide wrote: ...able to improve on this,,,,,,
Why not just remote override each pattern,for each keyboard key-=-worx very smooth here =)

dioxide

15 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
dioxide wrote: ...able to improve on this,,,,,,
Why not just remote override each pattern,for each keyboard key-=-worx very smooth here =)
For me this is for live control, it is good to change several patterns with one button press. It is easy to do this with several keys or buttons but there are instances when you want to do make several changes at once. Hence why Ableton Live has Scenes. I show two instances here as a demo of the technique but in theory you could run an entire Song from it, assuming it is all based around Redrum and Matrixes.

Stranger.

15 Aug 2016

Hey dioxide- i can't view file atmo--
Overrides are still usefull for live control--they will even override sequencer automation temporarily.
Any chance of doing a video to demo your thang?

dioxide

15 Aug 2016

Possibly but not right now. I've been putting a lot of time into creating some good MIDI mapping and use overrides and surface locking a lot. I'm like to show people what can be done (with a lot of workaround in Reason!) but it takes time to demo it. The centre of my live setup is one of these.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ontrol-f1/

Generally the left three columns are mapped to 3 Redrums with Patterns 1-4 (top to bottom) and the right column has up to 4 sequences latching on and off to trigger them.

The techniques for latching patterns is here:
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7493076

You can also switch between patterns from the main sequencer, but I don't normally use this live as it is a pain to set up.
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7493075

These techniques really open up Reason for live perfomance but they require a lot of messing around with CV as they are very much workarounds. It would be much better if PH just built this kind of thing into Reason!

• Information