Cutting on zero crossings

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
chrima

07 Jun 2016

Hi,

is there anyone to know how to detect zero crossings and cut there in audio editing?
Thanks.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

Nothing currently can do this in Reason, so it would be the case of doing by hand.
However there are some 'workarounds' that may help:

1) Sample clip fade in/out (using the sequencer and audio clips)

2) ADSR controls on the samplers (raise the attack slightly, have decay at 0, sustain at max, release as close to zero as you dare). Then setting to monophonic you can check how good the fades are by repeat hitting the keys or

3) Sample editing in the sampler units (ie 'edit sample' in NNXT so you can bring up your start / end handles plus the loop left/right markers to set the loop positions by sample

What you may be looking for is a more dedicated sample editing program (Soundforge, Bias Peak, Wavosaur etc)

Dabbler

08 Jun 2016

I think the folks over at Audacity have been looking at this. There's no function inside Audacity, that I know of, but I've seen chatter about it in the forums.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

09 Jun 2016

Soundforge can do it easy, and Wavosaur has it as well (in Wavosaur under the Options menu)

chrima

11 Jun 2016

Thank you for replies.

I was hoping that Reason might be capable of such a basic audio editing function. Wouldn't that be a reasonable feature for upcoming versions?

I know about Audacity and used it in the past. But I think it would be useful to do any editing within Reason without changing programs.
I didn't know Wavosaur so far ...

Dabbler

12 Jun 2016

chrima wrote:Thank you for replies.

I was hoping that Reason might be capable of such a basic audio editing function. Wouldn't that be a reasonable feature for upcoming versions?

I know about Audacity and used it in the past. But I think it would be useful to do any editing within Reason without changing programs.
I didn't know Wavosaur so far ...
Nice rhyme.

Raveshaper

19 Jun 2016

All I can think of is the "remove DC offset" process in audacity, but that doesn't cut at zeroes, it just removes pops and clicks.

Looks like others have better answers, haven't even heard of wavosaur before.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

Raveshaper wrote:All I can think of is the "remove DC offset" process in audacity, but that doesn't cut at zeroes, it just removes pops and clicks.

DC offset as far as we were concerned helps identify any DC 'hum' where the waveform is not quite balanced between positive and negative (ie +1 positive, -0.8 negative with the 'zero' line being at +0.1, and the DC offset recenters the signal so the 'zero' level is realigned vertically) - can happen based on a 'dodgy' cable or any electronic components offsetting the signal. Never used it in the sense to remove pops and clicks (because again as far as we know it realigns vertically, not doing any actual manipulation changes to frequency or anything else)

Wavosaur is like a really stripped back version of Soundforge, you will need LAME encoder installed to use MP3s with it (for exporting at least)

Funniy enough.... Google searched... ->> http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/edit ... sings.html

selig
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
Raveshaper wrote:All I can think of is the "remove DC offset" process in audacity, but that doesn't cut at zeroes, it just removes pops and clicks.

DC offset as far as we were concerned helps identify any DC 'hum' where the waveform is not quite balanced between positive and negative (ie +1 positive, -0.8 negative with the 'zero' line being at +0.1, and the DC offset recenters the signal so the 'zero' level is realigned vertically) - can happen based on a 'dodgy' cable or any electronic components offsetting the signal. Never used it in the sense to remove pops and clicks (because again as far as we know it realigns vertically, not doing any actual manipulation changes to frequency or anything else)

Wavosaur is like a really stripped back version of Soundforge, you will need LAME encoder installed to use MP3s with it (for exporting at least)

Funniy enough.... Google searched... ->> http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/edit ... sings.html
I've never heard of a cable adding DC offset - is this possible, and how?
IF you have DC on your audio signal it CAN make edits pop due to a waveform dis-continuity if editing between a signal with DC and one without. This is because edits are typically made in the quiet bits, and a signal with DC will not likely have zero crossings on the quiet parts. So removing DC won't remove pops/clicks in and of itself, but can help with edits in certain cases.

As a separate thought - an asymmetrical waveform doesn't necessarily mean there is DC offset. Some vocals are naturally asymmetrical, and you can't "remove" this because it's natural and not added more electronic or acoustic "issues". :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

Yeah agreed, probably just our interpretation of the term.

We see DC offsets when recording vinyl sometimes (bit of a hum on one channel maybe due to ground not contacting properly, or the headshell on the turntable not quite 100% due to dirty / minimal contacts etc), and that's when we use the offset - we don't seem to remove the crackle or pops from vinyl though when we use the DC offset, ala this link... http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk - we see this from time to time so we do tweak our ground connection (will have to resolder the contact inside the turntable again to get solid connection, another thing to add to the job list)

selig
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Yeah agreed, probably just our interpretation of the term.

We see DC offsets when recording vinyl sometimes (bit of a hum on one channel maybe due to ground not contacting properly, or the headshell on the turntable not quite 100% due to dirty / minimal contacts etc), and that's when we use the offset - we don't seem to remove the crackle or pops from vinyl though when we use the DC offset, ala this link... http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk - we see this from time to time so we do tweak our ground connection (will have to resolder the contact inside the turntable again to get solid connection, another thing to add to the job list)
I see - the problem isn't just DC offset, it's ground hum which CAN be caused by a cable in the case of a faulty ground. Messy work, this audio stuff…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

21 Jun 2016

Exactly, plus we do DC offsetting on our turntables, to ensure the ADC on the soundcard 'understands' the signal path and compensates for the DC

selig
RE Developer

21 Jun 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Exactly, plus we do DC offsetting on our turntables, to ensure the ADC on the soundcard 'understands' the signal path and compensates for the DC
Sorry, but I don't understand - if you guys all do DC offset on all of your turntables (how many of you are there and how many turntables do you have?), why would the ADC even see DC in the first place? And what "signal path" are you talking about - are you not just plugging from the phono preamp output directly into the ADC - what other signal path could there be and how would the ADC "care" about the signal path (or even know about the signal path)?

In other words, how can the ADC "compensate" for (do you mean "Remove?) DC if you already offset it on the turntables?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

21 Jun 2016

1) Turntable into DJ mixer
2) Soundforge to 'analyse' DC offset at time of sampling (monitoring)
3) Soundforge 'calibrates' the input at the soundcard (ADC)
4) Sample in Soundforge with offset DC

That's how we use it. If we find samples that to us appear 'misaligned' or DC offset then we simply use it, that's all

selig
RE Developer

21 Jun 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:1) Turntable into DJ mixer
2) Soundforge to 'analyse' DC offset at time of sampling (monitoring)
3) Soundforge 'calibrates' the input at the soundcard (ADC)
4) Sample in Soundforge with offset DC

That's how we use it. If we find samples that to us appear 'misaligned' or DC offset then we simply use it, that's all

OK, not familiar with sound forge - and I thought you were only one person - how many of "us" are there anyway?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

21 Jun 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:That would be telling ;)
Yea, I get lonely sometimes myself… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information