Reason mixer techniques

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
orange19

01 Jun 2016

Hi I'm a long time Reason user (since Reason 2.0 - now still on Reason 7).
I've recently tried to build some personal reason templates and experimenting a little bit with mixer channels with the aim to try to use the native mixer as much as I can (trying to avoid wasting time in trying and end up buying too many different eq's and effects that can be already be built from reason native devices), in particular I wanted to try to use one of the mixer channels as pre master channel as master eq, to use some sends (saturator, idiomatic, decimort2) to colour my masters.
while the obvious option would be to create a top Bus (grouping all my other buses) for the eq and the aux (before the SSLL Master compressor) I also tried to re-connect the master out (after the master compressor) to another mixer channel in order to use the channel compressor peak/limiter function. This actually worked quite well as I quite liked the sonics out of it although I have of course doubts whether the peak function on the channel can really act as brick wall limiter.
I was wondering if anybody has tried similar things and/or have any advice or experience to share either from his Reason experience or (why not?) from his SSL 9000k real desk.
Thanks and greetings to the guys that are keeping this wonderful forum alive :)

Ahornberg

02 Jun 2016

Great idea to use a channel after the master bus!

I've always routed my send-returns to individual channels and put the fx into the inserts of these channels.

• Information