Record SFX

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
donking2010

16 May 2016

I was wondering how to make a track sound like its been recorded to vinyl? But within reason.... :)

I'd like to be able to adjust the subtle pops and general sounds that a record would have.

Anyone have an idea how to accomplish this? Or point me in a direction.

Thanks!

normen

16 May 2016

Use the Audiomatic RE

donking2010

17 May 2016

Thanks. I should of said that I was on 6.5.

I would like to build a combinator patch myself. For the sake of learning more about reason. Anyone know how would I go about that?

normen

17 May 2016

You can get Audiomatic for 6.5 afaik. Anyway, how about just playing a vinyl crackle sample in your arrangement?

Rene Disco

17 May 2016

There are scratch samples and noises in the Reason Sound Library. Check the Kong, Redrum and even rex loops and you will find enough noises and pops and if you need noise you can use any of Reasons synths. You can also crank the volume of some music so it distorts, cut that and you got more noise.

donking2010

17 May 2016

Cool a lot easier than what I was thinking of. I was thinking of getting some FM thing going in malstrom or Thor and messing around with it. But I like just the sample approach. Bam done in 2 minutes.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

18 May 2016

There's another way you can do it....
See if you can load this Combi

http://lab-one-recordings.co.uk/VINYLIZER.cmb

Use Rotary 1 to add the crackles and low surface noise plus use Rotary 2 to set the actual audio level of the crackles & noise.

Now you have to think in linear terms... vinyl has the effect of being 'clean' at the start of the record and degrades gradually over time as you reach towards the centre - this is why you always start from the outside going in - each rotation the distance for one revolution gets shorter, sort of like 'bitcrushing' over time - you have lots of distance to cover for one true rotation so you can pack in lots of information, as you reach the centre of the record, the distance is shorter circumference travelled = less space for data. Plus over time, the needle can pickup dust and dirt, hairs, fluff etc and will degrade the signal too (like putting your hand over your mouth while talking, your listener can still hear but more muffled. So...

If you use the Combi we've linked, you can increase the noise and level over the duration of your track, plus put a LPF across the mixdown itself (so mixdown > LFP, and vinyl-FX run in parallel so not filtered) - now what you can do over time is gradually linearly decrease the frequency from Nyquist / 22kHz down to maybe 14kHz at most to give the effect of the circumference-distance example above (less data, so quality degrades, so reduce the frequency range) as well as dirt/fluff accumulating on the needle, whilst increasing the noise / vinyl effect for the same time and rate as the LFP - as the two play over time, you'll get the effect of a record playing.

Mix that totally down to a new mix if you want to emulate vinyl sound further.... the final final stage could be putting the mixdown+vinyl overdub into an NNXT or NN19 and play it back using minimal pitch bending up and down (perhaps Sinewave LFO will work for this) set to ~1.33secs (for 45rpm) or ~1.8secs (for 33.3rpm) and have the effect at the start of the track to create slight 'warping' of the vinyl (if you want to really age your track), remember to ease off towards the end because there's more chance of warping on the outer side of the record than the inner spindle side. Don't go too mad, you only need to do just a touch to give the effect. Rounded LFOs work best, between tri and sine would be great (for fast speed up slow slow down to again emulate the shape of the warping of the 'record' - never purely sine wave shaped or 100% symmetrical)

Final things to add authenticity are things like repeating clicks at certain points (again 1.33sec / 1.8sec repeats filtered in and filtered out) to resemble scratches in the vinyl surface, and the needle picking these clicks up (because the scratch creates new cross-grooves in the record). Bounce that down to a new 'vinyl version'.

Remember though your track won't actually jump like on a real turntable, unless you cut'n'shut the last 'vinyl version' a couple of clicks to emulate a needle jump.

Why would you do this? well, creating your own 'crate digging' sounds for starters can be a good thing to increase your library of breaks, so you get away from the digital 'sterile' sound and add a little touch of 'realness', or purely to see if anyone can spot that you never even pressed the record in the first place (blind listening testing or a digital version vs a vinylized version)

Hope this helps out

donking2010

18 May 2016

Whoa!!!! Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to have fun on my solo record. This is what it's all based around.
Thanks again!

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

18 May 2016

donking2010 wrote:Whoa!!!! Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to have fun on my solo record. This is what it's all based around.
Thanks again!
Glad you like the method bud, we came across this a while ago and thought it could be a pretty neat idea to work with.

the other thing you can also consider is if you bounce your audio files (the 'vinyl solo' with the mix down) and pitch BOTH up so you get them still synced in time but a faster BPM, you'll get the turntable pitch up effect where the BPM will go 'off' from say 128 to 129.357#### because of the 'drifting'

Because of the way we hear things over time, we can't tell the difference so easily from one minute to the next, but short term we can - possibly down to instant cognition of sound differences short term (again more 'science' lol)

donking2010

18 May 2016

Love the science of all things audio. It gets my creative circuit going.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

19 May 2016

Another neat effect.... want to emulate scratching?

Using the standard DDL Red Delay unit in Reason, set it fully wet, leave it stereo / mid balanced. Set the time to milliseconds. Now play audio through it and go a bit mental with the timing from 0ms to 2000ms and back and forth, recording the automation. It's a bit of a hack but you might get some nice rewind sounds in there, then bounce that clip to a 'scratch' track, and now when you have the ms setting going from 2000ms to 0ms, go to the volume fader and automate that so every time you go 'back in time' (2000ms to 0ms) bring the volume fader up at the same rate as the ms motion, then when you go back to 2000ms, you can pull the fader back down to zero faster.... this way you're sort of mimicing the pull back plus the cross fade of a turntable and dj mixer :D

Stranger.

19 May 2016

ΣΣΣ

• Information