How do you set up your drums?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Aasmund1986

09 May 2016

Id like to ask how you guys and girls set up your drums when your arranging the rack. Im used to add one ReDrum for 1 drum and connect it to a 14:2 so I have seperate channels for drum mastering. I also see somebody use -only one- ReDrum for all drums and connect the drums seperate to a 14:2.
What would be the best way for space and CPU performance? This should be obviously, but Id like to ask anyway. Heres my template-setup:

Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

Lizard

09 May 2016

I would much prefer creating individual Mix Channels for the device (or devices) you want to use and then create a bus for all of them. In this manner you can use all functions of the Mixer which has even greater control than that of the 14:2.

Noplan
Competition Winner

09 May 2016

Why do use so many Redrums? One should be enough with new note lanes. ;)
drums.jpg
drums.jpg (252.67 KiB) Viewed 1867 times

Aasmund1986

09 May 2016

The use of one ReDrum per drum was the first mastering tips Ive ever learned :) I see you have one master fader for drums and then seperate mixer fader with the Redrum channels. How did you sat that up? My template is the version on that one, if you understand me.
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

Noplan
Competition Winner

09 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:The use of one ReDrum per drum was the first mastering tips Ive ever learned :) I see you have one master fader for drums and then seperate mixer fader with the Redrum channels. How did you sat that up? My template is the version on that one, if you understand me.
I created a Redrum and detached all cables from the mix channel. Then i copied the mix channel as many separate Channels i need for my drums. And then i route them from the outputs of each trigger strip of the redrum (1, 2, 3, 4 ... see on the back) to each mix channels.

finally i mark all mix channels and create a new output bus. Wich reason version do you have?

Edit: i see. Reason Essentials. ;)
Last edited by Noplan on 09 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Exowildebeest

09 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:The use of one ReDrum per drum was the first mastering tips Ive ever learned :)
Forget that tip immediately - it's not a mastering tip, it might be a sounddesign tip for layering.

There's a reason Redrum has separate outs for each sample slot.

Aasmund1986

09 May 2016

You mean like this?
Reason 10 Intro

Peter

09 May 2016

I prefer Kong but yeah the mix channel setup is the way to go.

Peter

09 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:You mean like this?
No - you have them going to audio tracks when they need to be going to mix channels.

Aasmund1986

09 May 2016

Hmm, is it possible that you can share the Reason file if its not breaking any rules or Propellerheads use of terms?
Last edited by Aasmund1986 on 09 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 10 Intro

Pinkbox

09 May 2016

I usually use one channels for bass drums and one channel for everything else (in a 14:2).
Attachments
KongBox2Lite.zip
(107.12 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Peter

09 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Hmm, is it possible that you can share the Reason file if its not breaking any rules og Propellerheads use of terms?
It's not breaking rules but I already took a screenshot and it's simple enough to understand. :)
Attachments
redrum.jpg
redrum.jpg (249.85 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

Peter

09 May 2016

I just noticed it can be confusing when a MIX CHANNEL is collapsed because it looks like it's going into the insert FX but that is not the case.

Aasmund1986

09 May 2016

Think I got it:

Reason 10 Intro

Noplan
Competition Winner

09 May 2016

The first mistake is that you haven't detached the cable from the first mix channel that comes with the redrum. (stereo out)

You have to detach it and copy that thing ten times if you want ten separate channels. then put them together like Peter has told you and as you did.

After that you mark every channel, right click it and create a new Output Bus. You are not far away from it. ;)

Chizmata

09 May 2016

i wonder how you guys set up aux effects in kong? as there is send but no return, i connect a mixer 6:2 to kongs external effect out- and Input and route the effect returns into it.

Aasmund1986

09 May 2016

Am I doing it the right way now?

Reason 10 Intro

Peter

09 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Am I doing it the right way now?
Yeah.

Aasmund1986

09 May 2016

Great! Then I learned something new today. Thanks :) Goodbye 14:2, was fun working with you.
Reason 10 Intro

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2016

Noplan wrote:The first mistake is that you haven't detached the cable from the first mix channel that comes with the redrum. (stereo out)

You have to detach it and copy that thing ten times if you want ten separate channels. then put them together like Peter has told you and as you did.

After that you mark every channel, right click it and create a new Output Bus. You are not far away from it. ;)
Maybe mistake, maybe not - I intentionally do this sometimes so I can have separate kick/snare/toms, but sometimes prefer to keep the hi hats (and sometimes crash cymbals) on a stereo mix. Otherwise you'll end up with a closed hat and an open hat on separate mix channels! It's a quick way to create a sub-mix because all channels NOT directly routed will still appear on the main Stereo Outs.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Peter

09 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Great! Then I learned something new today. Thanks :) Goodbye 14:2, was fun working with you.
Then you can hold SHIFT key while you click the first and last drum mix channels to highlight all of them. Then right-click and select Route To New Output Bus. This will be the channel for all of the drums at once.

sdst
Competition Winner

09 May 2016

he said he has reason essential, and to maker Bus channels in reason essential

he need to do that manually. :)

• Information