Random note generation techniques

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
ddrex
Competition Winner

07 May 2016

For some time now, I have been experimenting with random note generation in Reason.
First I concentrated on using totally random notes resulting in notes jumping from low to high with no control.
Then I tried multiple pre-made patterns in bunches a Matrix devices, selected randomly.
This produced something more pleasant but more repetitive.
Recently with the development of random soundscapes using the SW4-C Rack Extension, I tried going back to random note generation with a new approach mixing both the above techniques and the result is better than previously.
This track uses two sets of note generators sending data to 1 of 3 instruments each.
So there is 6 instruments but only 2 play at any given time.
This set-up made me smile a few times because it came up with some really unexpected changes and variations I would never have thought of using 
Any feedback on the way the systems works would be welcome.
Also please feel free to share your own random note generation techniques

tibah

07 May 2016

This is not about random note generation, but one of the "randomizers" I kinda build myself. I used to have a YT video up for that, but I deleted it.

So, we all know OctoRex can load up to 8 loops now, but when to ever really use them, right? Unless you are using dedicated patches that include variations for e.g. verse, chorus, bridge and fills and whatnot and change them accordingly.

What I do is to load up 4 loops, one loop slot for each. Then I program some defaultish pattern to trigger the slices. Now the fun begins, once you start to automate the notes to slot knob, in a somewhat random way. As it's stepped, I try to have each step trigger a different loop in 1/16 steps. Works very well with 2 drum and 2 instrument loops. Now, the randomness also comes once you browse different loops with the arrows to switch to a new loop, as long as you selected a folder with several loops inside. This is great for some weird background thingies, if you already have some key elements, or to just noodle and have fun with. :)

And what it sounds like - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/130 ... otdemo.mp3

orthodox
RE Developer

07 May 2016

Noplan
Competition Winner

07 May 2016

orthodox wrote:Image
For more randomness you can also set the rate knob to free and twist it around.

Stranger.

07 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 04 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

• Information