stop me if you've heard this one before

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
willowman

03 May 2016

Jez: "How long can it take to come up with 3 minutes of music?" Hans: "6 minutes max"
Jez: "That's being generous. That's 2 minutes per minute"

selig
RE Developer

03 May 2016

willowman wrote:
I can't speak to this particular product, but overall I've always said the primary skill for anyone in music is LISTENING. So much of what we do is based on how well we can listen - all decisions are made based on how well we listen.

In my mind, we can divide the listening skills into emotional and technical. This type of product helps with the technical listening skills, which is half the battle! Emotional listening skills come from absorbing the songs that make you "feel" a certain way (that you like) - by simply listening repeatedly to the music you respond well to, and "feeling it", you can absorb what makes a song "work" for you. But you STILL need the technical listening skills, which take practice.

Just saying, don't expect to achieve "perfection" by technical listening alone (unless your job is strictly an engineer position). But also, don't expect to achieve perfection WITHOUT technical listening skills!!!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

03 May 2016

selig wrote:
willowman wrote:
I can't speak to this particular product, but overall I've always said the primary skill for anyone in music is LISTENING. So much of what we do is based on how well we can listen - all decisions are made based on how well we listen.

In my mind, we can divide the listening skills into emotional and technical. This type of product helps with the technical listening skills, which is half the battle! Emotional listening skills come from absorbing the songs that make you "feel" a certain way (that you like) - by simply listening repeatedly to the music you respond well to, and "feeling it", you can absorb what makes a song "work" for you. But you STILL need the technical listening skills, which take practice.

Just saying, don't expect to achieve "perfection" by technical listening alone (unless your job is strictly an engineer position). But also, don't expect to achieve perfection WITHOUT technical listening skills!!!
:)
one thing I used to do is pick out a long playlist of albums I wanted to internalize the "feel" of, so I could more easily reproduce that feel in my own music. I would play the same playlist every night at a low enough volume that I could sleep, but loudly enough that I knew I was at least hearing it subconsciously. then I'd pick one or two of those albums and listen to them consciously the next day at work. it was actually surprisingly effective.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

satyr32

04 May 2016

I tried the first few games and I like it, but in some of their training videos they have excess sibilance which makes me wonder how this can happen if they offer ear training?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

• Information