Electrix Filter Factory sounds using Reason?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
jamiefbolton

23 Apr 2016

Back when I had hardware synths, I used a Filter Factory a lot. I loved the filter sweeps and the throbbing of the LFO. However, I'm not well versed in creating things in Reason and I can't figure out how to make those same sounds. Surely it can be done right?

You'll have to spell it out for me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digitus

24 Apr 2016

Yes, it can be done in Reason but how to go about it depends on what type of effect you're after. A good starting place might be to use Pulsar as your lfo source and route its cv outputs to a filter or fx device of your choice. If you're not familiar with cv routing, try watching some tutorial videos about it on youtube. It's really not that difficult. You just have to learn the basics of dealing with cv and lfos in reason.

Using Filters

Gated Filter Sweep

Getting started with Pulsar

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2016

I'm gonna say just use Thor as everything you need for a classic Modular is there. Of course the Filters may sound different.

For a really good grounding in how then I wrote these articles (2 & 3 linked from the end of 1)

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/07/2 ... ple-logic/

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jamiefbolton

24 Apr 2016

Thanks folks. I'll take a look and report back.

jamiefbolton

25 Apr 2016

Ok guys. I've tooled around and I guess I don't really understand how all of this works. Let me give you a little more background and an example. I used to plug my Triton into the Electrix Filter Factory, outputs to inputs. Then I liked to make all kinds of swirly, filtered, throbbing sounds. I use some sort of pad sound from the Trition. I've uploaded a song we recorded years ago as a good example. You can hear the keyboard pad being filtered and everything from about 4min onward. The vocal gets out of the way at about 5 minutes and then at about 5:40 the song dies down and you can hear the pad nicely. There is a guitar playing so don't mistake it for the filtered keyboard, not that you would. Please take a listen and let me know how to go about achieving this.

By the way, I do want to learn, but I'm a bit lost even after combing through the links posted above.

Thanks in advance.
Jamie

joeyluck

25 Apr 2016

If you are looking for an effect unit to simply add to an instrument (so you can have a familiar, one-stop shop for adding an effect to any instrument without toying with CV or internal routing/different built-in filters), you may get some results you like from Pulveriser which is included in Reason.

It has several selectable filters types with knobs for frequency and peak settings.
It also has an LFO ('Tremor' ; already routed to the filter) with a 'Rate' setting ('Speed' on FilterFactory) and 'Tremor to Frequency' ('Depth' on FilterFactory) and selectable waveforms (a few more than you had on the FilterFactory). Where you had Buzz on FilterFactory, you have Dirt and Squash on Pulveriser...

Just start with a reset device and go from there. And maybe browse some patches for inspiration. Hope you can get the results you are after!

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2016

Like I said in the article, draw out what you used to do with the Triton going through the Filter Factory. That can just be three boxes with two lines:

Triton - Filter - Mixer

Then as Joey says grab a device with a Filter; eg. Pulverisor (the little silver ECF, Thor, Maelstrom...), insert it and while Reason has probably handled wiring for you, flip the Rack to check it matches you diagram and you are off.

The greatest danger you face is to keep saying you don't get it. Don't let that become what you believe or your brain will make that your reality.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

normen

26 Apr 2016

Benedict wrote:The greatest danger you face is to keep saying you don't get it. Don't let that become what you believe or your brain will make that your reality.

This is some insight right here that is SO true and important in so many ways.

• Information