Control Main Sequencer Start/Stop from external MIDI Application

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Splinter

18 Apr 2016

Greetings All,

Glad to have found this forum. I have a question regarding how I can control the Start/Stop of the Main Reason sequencer from an external MIDI device/application. I am a Keyboard player in a Funk band and I use Reason for all of my live keyboard sounds. We have a couple of songs that would benefit from a little sequencing, but I need to be able to trigger the Reason sequencer from my Drummer's tablet and metronome application.

On his iPad (with the MIDI accessory), he uses a software package call Set List Maker pro. This application has a built in metronome and has configurable MIDI output to trigger remote devices. I am familiar with Overriding the Remote Controls on faders and knobs for use with my attached keyboards, but not sure how to approach this with his device. I have a MIDI merge module and have his Tablet plugged into it, along with the rest of my devices that are mapped to Reason. I'm just not clear what MIDI messages to tell his application to send and how I would map that to the sequencer transport control in Reason.

Any help on this would sure be appreciated!

Regards,

Splinter

(Reason 7.1)

tibah

18 Apr 2016

Not sure if this helps, but start/stop buttons on the sequencer can learn MIDI input. Right click->Edit Remote Override Mapping. This should receive any MIDI input Reason is getting.

Raveshaper

18 Apr 2016

There are standardized midi messages for the transport buttons, but I believe these only apply if you are locking a surface to the transport track in the sequencer or have the track selected. Could be mistaken, however. I generally don't deal with the "standard" MIDI messages.

If you want to learn all of the standard MIDI messages for Reason 7.1, the PDF is linked below:

http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason7/Ma ... _Chart.pdf

That said, you can use any Control Change number you want using overrides.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Splinter

19 Apr 2016

Thank you both very much for your replies, I think I was overthinking this. I've used the remote overrides for my keyboard faders, knobs, etc... I didn't think to try that approach with the external device. I will give it a try for sure!

• Information