How do i create a inverted sawtooth?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
nooomy

07 Apr 2016

Hey im trying to recreate a syleth1 patch and i need a inverted sawtooth (as a osc) , anyone knows how to create one?

and i do not mean inverted phase

regards!

WongoTheSane

07 Apr 2016

Strangely enough, Thor's first Analog wave is inverted (despite the icon showing the normal one):
saw.JPG
saw.JPG (107.32 KiB) Viewed 886 times

nooomy

07 Apr 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:Strangely enough, Thor's first Analog wave is inverted (despite the icon showing the normal one):
saw.JPG
Thank you!

Now i wonder if there is a way to turn a OSC wave 180 degree phase?

normen

07 Apr 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:Strangely enough, Thor's first Analog wave is inverted (despite the icon showing the normal one):
Actually what Thor *DOES* would be a "normal" saw wave for me, i.e. similar to what a violin does - the bow slowly moves the string and then it quickly snaps back. I am not a synth expert though so I can't say what a "normal" saw is in the synth world.

WongoTheSane

07 Apr 2016

nooomy wrote:
Thank you!

Now i wonder if there is a way to turn a OSC wave 180 degree phase?
I'm not sure but are you talking about inversing polarity? If you are, say you want to inverse the saw coming from the osc 1 of a Thor before it reaches Filter 1, do this:
saw2.JPG
saw2.JPG (35.32 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Note that the "1" button just before the filter is disabled (otherwise, the normal wave would also be sent to the filter) and also that the Amount in the matrix is "-100" (the "minus" sign is small so easy to miss). This effectively inverses the wave (but doesn't shift it in time if that's what you meant).
Last edited by WongoTheSane on 07 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

07 Apr 2016

normen wrote:
Actually what Thor *DOES* would be a "normal" saw wave for me, i.e. similar to what a violin does - the bow slowly moves the string and then it quickly snaps back. I am not a synth expert though so I can't say what a "normal" saw is in the synth world.
I see what you mean. To me, the "normal one" was the "standard" visual representation (or my idea of it), and the one we hear most often (your normal) was the inverted one. Out of curiosity, I did a quick check on the synths I have ("UI" means the symbol used on the waveform selector, and "wave" the actual wave shape):

Subtractor UI: Falling, wave: Falling
Thor UI: Falling, wave: Rising
Viking UI: Falling, wave: Rising
MonoPoly UI: Falling, wave: Rising
Predator: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
Quad: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
ReDominator UI: Rising, wave: Rising
Antidote: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising

So it seems it's not as clear cut as I thought. I think this visual disparity comes from the fact that it's more "natural" to represent a saw like an ADSR, or a time-based function, regardless of what the wave actually does. Kind of like a "Play" button would always have an arrow pointing to the right, even if the tape went right to left, because we're just used to it.

Except that synths users are savvy enough to justify the UI showing the shape that is effectively generated by the osc.

Now I don't know what's normal anymore. :?

selig
RE Developer

07 Apr 2016

There's no sonic difference in a single saw vs inverted saw, just like for any synthesized waveform. It's only when you start adding waveforms that this makes any difference.

That being said, there are some engineers that claim under certain circumstances that absolute phase can be "heard", particularly with low frequency transients such as kick drums when soloed. Not everyone agrees, since not everyone seems to be sensitive enough to phase to discern the difference. I personally have not been able to 100% identify absolute phase myself, so it's not something I freak out over when tracking drums. Relative phase, OTOH, is VERY important IMO.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

satyr32

10 Apr 2016

WongoTheSane wrote: Subtractor UI: Falling, wave: Falling
Thor UI: Falling, wave: Rising
Viking UI: Falling, wave: Rising
MonoPoly UI: Falling, wave: Rising
Predator: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
Quad: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
ReDominator UI: Rising, wave: Rising
Antidote: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
ADDITION:

Parsec: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
Zero: UI Falling, wave: Falling
Parsec: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
Little LFO: UI Falling, wave: Falling
4MER: UI Rising, wave: Rising
SubBassBoom: no symbol on UI, wave: Rising
Revival: no symbol on UI, wave: Falling
Noxious: no symbol on UI, wave: Falling
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

nooomy

10 Apr 2016

haha! yes i think i got it! Im using the LFO 1 from two diffrent thors as OSC, i then invert one of the SAW waves and use a DDL-1 to change the phase of the inverted saw and this creates a really nice deep subby bass!

Hope you guys enjoy it its really deep and phat! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6obv8gomckudp ... e.cmb?dl=0

• Information