CV in Reason, A Four-Part Series (pt. 4 covers Truth RE)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
ZombieFightsShark

07 Apr 2016

Hello everyone!
I just completed a four-part series that covers some of the basics of using CV in Reason, specifically related to the Malström (my personal favorite machine).

The tutorial doesn't even begin to cover all the ins and outs of CV, but hopefully it will help some people in starting to use CV as a common tool. Part four goes into using Truth :re: by the Chronologists for anyone who has it and doesn't know what to do with it (which was me for awhile).

It's paired with a free ReFill on my site:
http://www.zombiefightsshark.net/#!blank/ydn1o
The ReFill is all Malströms, with the exception of a couple of combinators that use Truth :re: and Scope Jr :re: for illustration purposes.

Here's the video playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8swiBl_R5I_

If the response is favorable I may make more.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

-Chad

WongoTheSane

07 Apr 2016

At first I thought I was on XenakisFightsStockhausen.net ! :)

Impressive results soundwise, and great production too! Very well done!

ZombieFightsShark

07 Apr 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:At first I thought I was on XenakisFightsStockhausen.net ! :)

Impressive results soundwise, and great production too! Very well done!
:lol: You just validated your 20th Centurty Art Music Street Cred!

MarkTarlton

07 Apr 2016

thanks for making these and sharing your refill chad! the community appreciates it.

my 2 cents being that I was hoping to find out a little more info on how to use CV which I understand, but was looking for different ways to use control voltage without total experimental results. I don't make modular synth sounding music, but enjoy the sounds! I would ideally like to see some tutorials that allow you to use in your own compositions, and not so much the weird little sound generators that you have no control over.

also I don't remember anything related to using CV for just controlling parameters not needing a triggered sound...so say you are playing the instruments and want to use CV for extra hands that aren't free for example :)

aRiver

07 Apr 2016

Love the tutorials. It's an interesting topic and it looks like it is completely left out. Seems like there are never been any good full out hints on capabilities of CV tweaking, which is unfortunate. I find even understanding of the concept by itself doesn't lead anywhere. Despite fully understanding cv and logic extensions like truth I can't use it in musical way.

ZombieFightsShark

08 Apr 2016

MarkTarlton wrote:thanks for making these and sharing your refill chad! the community appreciates it.

my 2 cents being that I was hoping to find out a little more info on how to use CV which I understand, but was looking for different ways to use control voltage without total experimental results. I don't make modular synth sounding music, but enjoy the sounds! I would ideally like to see some tutorials that allow you to use in your own compositions, and not so much the weird little sound generators that you have no control over.

also I don't remember anything related to using CV for just controlling parameters not needing a triggered sound...so say you are playing the instruments and want to use CV for extra hands that aren't free for example :)
Thanks, Mark. I want to make some more of these and your suggestion is just what I'm looking for from the community.

The impetus for this series was a conversation on here about a month ago in which someone said they couldn't figure out how to use Truth. I sort of understood it at that time, so I thought "I'll make a tutorial explaining it. No big deal." I started that tutorial and it was 20 minutes long and didn't really explain a thing, so I never posted it. Then after a re-think I decided I'd try and break down the most basic aspect of CV so people could see that it can do neat stuff and hope that they'd see how that transfers to other parameters.

Can you give me a specific example of what you're looking for?

ZombieFightsShark

08 Apr 2016

aRiver wrote:Love the tutorials. It's an interesting topic and it looks like it is completely left out. Seems like there are never been any good full out hints on capabilities of CV tweaking, which is unfortunate. I find even understanding of the concept by itself doesn't lead anywhere. Despite fully understanding cv and logic extensions like truth I can't use it in musical way.
I know exactly what you're talking about. It's not a Swiss Army Knife for all situations, but can do some good in a pinch if you know how it works.

One of the things that I used CV for when I was just beginning to understand how it worked was automating an EQ on a single snare hit that I really liked. The snare hit was perfect but didn't have multiple velocities so it was very robotic sounding. I routed an LFO to the snare's combinator and ran the CV to the frequency so it would sweep and cut different parts of the frequency every time there was a hit, albeit randomly. It was subtle, but it worked and got a more "organic" sound (ironically).

• Information