Synth playing books

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
raccoonboy

05 Apr 2016

Hi all.

Could any of you guys recommend any books in regards to synth playing techniques/tips?

I've seen a couple of books on amazon that have interviews with 80s artists or big names in electronic music over the years. These go into techniques as well as gear used and settings. This is the kinda thing I'm looking for, but there's a few to choose from so not sure where to go.

I'm interested in synthpop, electro, dance, funky leads and bass lines. I'm looking more for playing style, musical examples. But also techniques, equipment and sound design.

I don't need any music theory as I know my theory quite well. When it comes to the sound design, just a basic patch outline is fine. I don't need an explanation of how synths work etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mcatalao
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2016

It seems to me that you're more into synth history and synth players than knowing synthesis per se...

I believe an historical approach to this might be available on various videos. But as a book i really don't know it.

If you're looking to see the synth sounds of the pass in reason, do yourself a favor and get Ed's 80's refill pack. It's simply the best crafted 80's refill around.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2016

raccoonboy

05 Apr 2016

Cheers. :) I'll have to try that refill.

Yes. I'm interested in the history. But I'm interested in the techniques of how these instruments were used. Good idea about the videos though, finding some old videos might be cool.

The reason I don't need an explanation of how synths work though is not because I lack interest, it is because I already know how they work. I have a good understanding of subtractive synths (not so much FM yet but working on it). I can make cool sounds quite easily from scratch and know what I'm doing. I use modular synths so have a decent understanding of CV/Gate and all that stuff. When I hear a sound and try and replicate it, my abilities are average but improving, but I'd like to improve more for sure.

But I'm also interested in keyboard technique and style as my keyboard skills leave something to be desired. I can usually figure out a tune by ear but would like to improve replicating styles I hear and improve my improvisation.

I'm taking some piano lessons soon to brush up on my practical theory (I understand theory well on paper).

What I'd like to see in a book is quotes like.

"I usually use Keyboard X with filter cut off at X, up the resonance, envelope like X" (i.e. basic patch tips, I don't necessarily need gory details, just some ideas to get me started on the right path I'll figure out the rest)

"I use arpeggiators on X setting a lot, with a delay on X setting"

"I use octaves a lot and scale X and rhythm X"

Here are a couple of books I found from a quick look on Amazon.

Perhaps someone has read some of these?

AND

AND
http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Presents ... op?ie=UTF8

Most of these are articles from a keyboard mag called 'keyboard presents'. I'll admit I've never heard of this before, but they sound quite good but it's hard to tell what kinda content they have based on the reviews... :\

raccoonboy

05 Apr 2016

and this too

Some people complain about how these books are layed out. i.e. in article form.

But I think a series of articles would probably be better for me rather than most books which will try to hold my hand and tell me what an oscillator and a sound wave is and where the C on the keyboard is. haha.

If anybody has read any of these books please let me know if you'd recommend :D

BPGeez

05 Apr 2016

@Raccoonboy Sound On Sound had an excellent serious from Gordon Reid (same guy that did the Thor section in "Discovering Reason") called Synth Secrets. It has a huge amount of information about synthesis in general. I'm not sure if you'll be using any of the hardware (or emulations) that makes these sounds, but if you are, there is a cool section called "Priorities and Triggers" that may help you with getting a desired playing style. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

raccoonboy

05 Apr 2016

BPGeez wrote:@Raccoonboy Sound On Sound had an excellent serious from Gordon Reid (same guy that did the Thor section in "Discovering Reason") called Synth Secrets. It has a huge amount of information about synthesis in general. I'm not sure if you'll be using any of the hardware (or emulations) that makes these sounds, but if you are, there is a cool section called "Priorities and Triggers" that may help you with getting a desired playing style. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Cheers I'll have a look at this later. I've read some of the articles on here and they're pretty good. The Thor articles are also great.

I have some hardware yes. My MS20 has high note priority and no retrigger which annoyed me at first, but now I love it and think it's a great way to play. However, being a obsessive freak I just had to figure out how to get it to retrigger. I managed it after about a week by redirecting the midi through Reason and doing some mad stuff to make it retrigger. hahah. Made me love Reason even more though, it's so powerful.

I don't use it that often to be fair, but it's great to have as an option. It's just a click of a button :D

• Information