high energy electro but with slow tempo?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
raymondh

31 Mar 2016

Hi expert beatmakers

I am thinking of making a cover of an instrumental, that is originally 94 BPM. I want to make it a dance/club style mainly because the lead melody sounds great with a trancey Antidote supersaw lead. But I'm not sure how to get a high energy sound with a slow song. I have found I can speed it up to maximum of 103 BPM or so before the lead sounds a bit silly.

Does anyone know how to get high energy, uplifting dance beat from a slower BPM? Any examples for ideas would be great!

thanks!

Emian

31 Mar 2016

hey Ray, ditch the original beats, go to 120 BPM & we're in business :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

raymondh

31 Mar 2016

Emian wrote:hey Ray, ditch the original beats, go to 120 BPM & we're in business :)
Hi Jan! The issue is that the melody sounded silly at that speed. I suppose I could try to spread the melody across more bars but that could be tricky!

Emian

01 Apr 2016

a handy trick can be to make chords of the original melody (if they're long note melodies offcourse) & manipulate those chords with Korde ; make short note melodie(s) out of it ... short notes do good at high BPMs !

Korde is for me one of the most inspiring RE's i bought the last months, our entire EP i did with Peter was built around Korde ...

good luck on the project Ray ! :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

aRiver

01 Apr 2016

Probably the easiest way is to layer some fast 1/8-32 melody. Another way ,if sample allows, take one bar in original bpm then loop pieces within it to to the length of desired bpm and layer some reverb with delay on top of it.

CookieClimber

05 Apr 2016

IMO, pumping stuff creates power. Use hard sidechaining on big wide chord type synths. Maybe a touch of tremolo.

Listen to what makes other similar slow "big" tracks, huge. The first thing which pops into my mind is Finale by Madeon.

What is it that makes this track big guys?

It has a well mixed bass and snare of course. But also, big wide background chords and some arpeggio style plinky melody racing around on top. More?

• Information