A couple of effect questions

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MGB

22 Mar 2016

Firstly, Hi. I'm max. long-time lurker, first time poster. I've been using Reason on and off for about 6 years but have large breaks of not making tunes so still very much learning... a few questions...

1. What are people's methods for applying effects to only a certain number of tracks in a certain part of their tune - eg a filter sweep on drums, pads and percussion leading into a breakdown? Do you create a separate bus containing the effect and route the individual tracks to it? Or is it a matter of copying over the desired sections and creating entirely new tracks for them?

2. A 'how do I do this' question. At 5:06 in the mix below there's an amen break that goes 1 bar normal, and 1 bar with a sort of digital effect on it. I'm wondering how to create this effect? I thought maybe I could do it with bit crushing but no luck - am thinking maybe a very fast delay or reverb? any help is much appreciated...

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2016

Hi

1. Usually one would make Sub Mix of the tracks you want effected and apply the effect in the places you want. You could also do the copy tracks part and sometimes this is safer as say you apply a Filter, that Filter may not be fully 'clean' when 100% open.

2. I am assuming this is a very short delay with a high Feedback. Which means it could also be a Flanger with little to no Depth.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information