Sampling from vinyl, to Kong (or other)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
maxrussell

18 Mar 2016

I have my turntable hooked up to a Behringer 302, which is set as the default recording device in my OS (windows).
In my Hardware Interface section in the rack, I'm using the ASIO4ALL driver.
Around the back, I have Audio Input 3 and 4 hooked up to the Kong Nano input on pad 1.

The big meter seems to be showing signs of the input when hooked up. However, when I record into the Nano, it flatlines.

I am probably being a daftie here (not the first time), but I'd be really happy to get any pointers.

thanks
Attachments
kong_wiring.png
kong_wiring.png (152.88 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
hardware_interface.png
hardware_interface.png (62.11 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

GRIFTY

20 Mar 2016

What I do is use a spider splitter on the master out. I split it, send one copy to master out, and send the other copy to my sample input. I hook up my technics to an audio track, enable monitoring, and voilà. This set up also allows me to sample ANYTHING.... synths, other instruments, chords, I can even set up a particular drum with DSP heavy effects, and resample it to the same pad, effectively "printing" my effects and letting me delete them and save dsp

maxrussell

21 Mar 2016

Any chance of a screenshot of that? Ta

Vince-Noir-99

21 Mar 2016

Hello. If I understand correctly, instead of patching your sampling source into Kong's input, patch it into the Sampling Input as shown in the screenshot. That's the one input which the NNs listen to when sampling from within the instrument (Kong included).
The Kong inputs are for going through the effects only.
You'll have to patch from 'x' (in your case, 3-4) Audio Input (right-hand side of Sampling Input in the Hardware Interface/AUDIO I/O) into Sampling Input.
Hope that helps!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 14.55.23.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 14.55.23.png (253.83 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

maxrussell

22 Mar 2016

I'm clearing being a dummy. When I'm hooking this up - I create and audio track/audio device in the rack? Then tell it about the input and hook that p to the Audio IO?

Vince-Noir-99

22 Mar 2016

maxrussell wrote:I'm clearing being a dummy. When I'm hooking this up - I create and audio track/audio device in the rack? Then tell it about the input and hook that p to the Audio IO?
No need to create an audio track, unless you want to record audio as you would with live instruments.
For sampling, simply patch whichever audio input channel (you said your turntable shows up on channel inputs 3-4) into the Sampling Input. As your screenshot shows, it's by default patched to Inputs 1-2, so in your case simply change that to 3-4.

Hope that makes sense. I know using words to describe these things can make it even more confusing.

Basically, sampling straight to the NN devices doesn't require to patch the source into the device, as you would on a hardware sampler, but to the Sampling input. This way any NN in your session is always ready to sample without the need for any connections.

GRIFTY

22 Mar 2016

maxrussell wrote:Any chance of a screenshot of that? Ta
sure!
technics.JPG
technics.JPG (53.5 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
^here, you can see, i have my table plugged into stereo inputs 7 & 8 connected to an audio track

technicstrack.JPG
technicstrack.JPG (25.38 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
^i make sure that "monitor" is enabled (the green button) so that i can hear what's playing through the track at all times.

masterout.JPG
masterout.JPG (110.55 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
^as you can see here, i have a spider splitter in my template file that splits the master out before it goes to hardware. it gets sent over to the sampling input of reason, and also to the hardware master out. So, therefore, any sound reason makes can be sampled

GRIFTY

22 Mar 2016

another way you can do this, i'm realizing, is to just send the ctrl room out on over to sample input. that would accomplish the same task

• Information