release sample trigger

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
area_bassist

17 Mar 2016

Hi all -

Is there a simple way to trigger release samples in Reason yet? For instance, I have a Clavinet sample set and I would like to include the "thud" sound of the key release. I've searched for an answer and keep coming up empty.

I found an old YouTube tutorial that is very convoluted and involves using a Subtractor gate to trigger a second sampler. Has this been improved upon at all in more recent versions?

Thanks!

selig
RE Developer

18 Mar 2016

This has been possible with the NNXT from the beginning. I used it years ago to create the note-off key click for the Selig B3-Leslie. Using fwd-sus loop mode you can easily triggering "note off" samples. Just make the loop short as possible and it works like a charm.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

area_bassist

18 Mar 2016

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying this, but not understanding how this setting can trigger a "note off" sample. This still plays sample only when key is depressed; nothing is triggered upon release. Am I missing something?

Vince-Noir-99

19 Mar 2016

I had to look up the manual because I'm also interested in triggering upon note-off.
FW-SUS
This works like FW-LOOP with the exception that it will only loop as long as the key is held down. As you release the key, the sample will play to the absolute end of the sample, that is beyond the boundaries of the loop.
This means that the sound may have a short natural release even if the release parameter is raised to a high value (which is not true for “FW-LOOP”, where the release parameter always controls the length of the sound after the key is released).

joeyluck

18 Jul 2016

I too recently have been exploring this. I have some samples of keys of a Magnus Chord Organ (each containing the initial attack and release at the end of the sample). I was hoping to be able to assign loop points and a release point for the same samples... I think this is how it works in Kontakt.

It appears the only way I can do this is to go through each sample and export new, individual samples for key releases (and assign those as fwd-sus), correct? Would be a cool update if release points could be edited for the same sample you wish to loop.

Speaking of, is assigning the amp attack the best way to keep the sample from being heard when the key is pressed?

Ogoid

11 Jul 2018

Hey Selig! Can you please explain to me how you did this? I've sampled this old tube organ and it has a lot of character when I release each key, I would like to have the keyup sound in my NN-XT (which is at the end of my FW-LOOP sample), but I have no clue how to have that end of the sample play when I release the midi controller note. Any help would be appreciated. I'll share the combinator when I'm done to (it's a raunchy old thing lol).

Boombastix
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2018

For synths: Europa/Grain - check out Env 2, and set it to filter, then add/make a "bump" in the envelope after the release marker. Super easy and sounds great! :thumbs_up:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

selig
RE Developer

07 Aug 2018

Ogoid wrote:Hey Selig! Can you please explain to me how you did this? I've sampled this old tube organ and it has a lot of character when I release each key, I would like to have the keyup sound in my NN-XT (which is at the end of my FW-LOOP sample), but I have no clue how to have that end of the sample play when I release the midi controller note. Any help would be appreciated. I'll share the combinator when I'm done to (it's a raunchy old thing lol).
The key is using the FW-SUS mode and not the FW-LOOP mode.

The way I created separate release samples was to use a release sample with a tiny bit of silence at the top/head of the sample. Then you loop the silent bit at the top of the sample. Thus, when you release the key, the entire audible part of the sample will play. Make sure you set the Amp Env with sustain all the way up and release to a long enough value to hear the release sample (set release to max to play the sample to the end).

You can also use this mode if you have a sample that plays the sustain and release stages all in one. Simply loop the part that sustains and the release will play when you release the key (assuming again you have set the Amp Env Sustain to max and the Release time long enough to hear the end of the sample).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information