Reason Balance Mic'ing method for live drum sound

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Shiva666

09 Mar 2016

Hi guys,

I know that you can only add 2 Mics to capture . Does anyone here worked it out otherwise? A different technique perhaps?

I wish Balance had like 5 mic inputs! :(

Cheers!

normen

09 Mar 2016

The Recorderman technique yields pretty good results. Alternatively - if you want a more direct bass drum sound - you can use one overhead pointed at the snare and a bass drum mic.

The Recorderman setup needs pretty exact mic positions but its not that hard to set up really, had some pretty amazing results with it:
http://jonstinson.com/the-recorder-man- ... technique/

Shiva666

13 Mar 2016

normen wrote:The Recorderman technique yields pretty good results. Alternatively - if you want a more direct bass drum sound - you can use one overhead pointed at the snare and a bass drum mic.

The Recorderman setup needs pretty exact mic positions but its not that hard to set up really, had some pretty amazing results with it:
http://jonstinson.com/the-recorder-man- ... technique/

Thanks Normen.. yeah.. I am using 2 mic technique as for now.. sometimes it captures bleeds all over the place... problematic for Metal kind of music....

normen

14 Mar 2016

Shiva666 wrote:Thanks Normen.. yeah.. I am using 2 mic technique as for now.. sometimes it captures bleeds all over the place... problematic for Metal kind of music....
90% of metal bands use triggered drums anyway these days.

MarkTarlton

14 Mar 2016

some suggestions below...

you can mic the kick tight and the snare and just do those first so you have clean tones to work with and than fill in the toms and cymbals as needed.

you can get triggers for the kick and snare and than use an overhead to pick up the natural ambience of the kit.

you can get a sub mixer and get really good at balancing all of your mics that than go to balance.

or bite the bullet and get a bigger soundcard and all of the mics, cables, stands, etc needed to rock a live kit! in a perfect world :)

Shiva666

15 Mar 2016

MarkTarlton wrote:some suggestions below...

you can mic the kick tight and the snare and just do those first so you have clean tones to work with and than fill in the toms and cymbals as needed.

you can get triggers for the kick and snare and than use an overhead to pick up the natural ambience of the kit.

you can get a sub mixer and get really good at balancing all of your mics that than go to balance.

or bite the bullet and get a bigger soundcard and all of the mics, cables, stands, etc needed to rock a live kit! in a perfect world :)
Hahhahahaha... Oh my.... the second option sounds killer bro!

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2016

Here's a tutorial I wrote for the Props all about using fewer microphones on a drum kit - includes the Recorder Man example as well as Glen Johns approach and mid/side recording (with audio examples). This was written with these situations in mind fwiw…
https://www.propellerheads.se/substance ... 9&from=rss
Selig Audio, LLC

Shiva666

15 Mar 2016

selig wrote:Here's a tutorial I wrote for the Props all about using fewer microphones on a drum kit - includes the Recorder Man example as well as Glen Johns approach and mid/side recording (with audio examples). This was written with these situations in mind fwiw…
https://www.propellerheads.se/substance ... 9&from=rss
Wow Thanks! You're da man Selig! Needed this badly...

normen

16 Mar 2016

Shiva666 wrote:Wow Thanks! You're da man Selig! Needed this badly...
Note that the Glyn Johns technique REQUIRES three microphones, else it doesn't work. You won't be able to do that without 3 inputs or a submixer before Balance.

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2016

normen wrote:
Shiva666 wrote:Wow Thanks! You're da man Selig! Needed this badly...
Note that the Glyn Johns technique REQUIRES three microphones, else it doesn't work. You won't be able to do that without 3 inputs or a submixer before Balance.
Good catch, I should have mentioned that - BTW I also feel Recorderman needs three microphones (adding a kick mic) to work at all for me…

FWIW, my favorite 2 mic technique is one kick mic and another over the right shoulder of the drummer (assuming a right handed setup, with the hi hat "hidden" from the mic by the drummer's head). Check polarity as always. Also, the "over the shoulder" mic is the position I found works best for when you only have a single mic available, though I still miss the kick mic.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Shiva666

29 Mar 2016

Hi Selig,

So what i did is i had 2 mics - 1 condenser overhead and 1 bass drum connected to my Behringer preamp and 1 Zoom h1N placed right on the middle to capture the entire drum sounds. It managed to get a decent sound but with a little bit of tweaking on the preamp settings i may find the right spot. I think i want to try connecting the 2 mics directly into balance.

• Information