When you bounce audio, what quality setting do you use?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
The_G

27 Feb 2016

16-bit, 44.1khz with dither?
24-bit, 44.1khz?
24-bit, 96khz?
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Ostermilk

27 Feb 2016

If it of interest to anyone my entire signal chain is 24/48k.

Everything stays that way and I'll make a 16 bit file from an original 24 bit stem only if I'm making final wav's or lossy files usually at 44.1k and dithered depending on requirements.

There's no fancy or audible reason for me to be using 48k it's just a habit I got into after owning my now redundant E-Mu interface which simply worked better from a stability POV at that sample rate.

Ahornberg

27 Feb 2016

24-bit, 44.1kHz because I hear a difference to 16-bit, 44.1kHz.

Loque

27 Feb 2016

44.1khz with 16bit because several REs cannot handle other resolutions.
Reason12, Win10

The_G

28 Feb 2016

Loque wrote:44.1khz with 16bit because several REs cannot handle other resolutions.
Interesting. Which ones?
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Emian

28 Feb 2016

The_G wrote:
Loque wrote:44.1khz with 16bit because several REs cannot handle other resolutions.
Interesting. Which ones?
Uhbik A comes to mind.... a bug thing i believe.

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Loque

28 Feb 2016

Echo bode cannot sync. Carve crashes soemtimes. Some more, cannot remember all and did not tested all. But sometimes i got completly muteted tracks, wrong syncs, glitches or crashes.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... Loque+44.1
Reason12, Win10

theshoemaker

01 Mar 2016

To my newest Infos... 24bit 44.1 without dithering is sufficient. And I haven't found a difference in listening compared to 96kHz. But my equipment isn't high-end. Therefore if you upload to iTunes they recommend a premaster with 96kHz. Some encoders are better at 96 when the implementation isn't that good. But on a good encoder you won't notice a difference and the quality at both levels is transparent
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Dante

01 Mar 2016

24-bit 96khz

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Mar 2016

There's no audible difference between 16 bit and 24 bit, at all. You use 24 bit for the undithered signal, and the added headroom.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Loque

01 Mar 2016

If it comes to dithering or calculations you will heare the difference. I do the mastering on a rendered 16 bit 44.1khz and if i have finished all settings, i copy them back to the original for a full quality rendering. I am always shocked by the huge difference in sound compared to 16 bit 44.1khz. I think the most comes from the iZotope dithering settings... Praise and hands down!
Reason12, Win10

Kenni
Site Admin

02 Mar 2016

Hmm, but what I'm saying is, is that it's physically impossible for the human ear to hear the difference.

The reason you choose 24 bit (Or higher) in a production environment is the added headroom, the precision of the bit depth and non existing digital signal noise.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

ScuzzyEye

07 Mar 2016

Kenni wrote:Hmm, but what I'm saying is, is that it's physically impossible for the human ear to hear the difference.

The reason you choose 24 bit (Or higher) in a production environment is the added headroom, the precision of the bit depth and non existing digital signal noise.
I won't argue very hard against your first statement. :) It's virtually impossible to hear a difference between noise being at -96 dB, and -144 dB.

But digital noise isn't non-existent. Quantization noise is exactly where the bit depth says it will be. 96 dB below peak signal level at 16-bit, and 144 dB down at 24-bit. Dithering changes the character of the noise, and can improve those numbers for practical measurements.

Kenni
Site Admin

07 Mar 2016

ScuzzyEye wrote:
Kenni wrote:Hmm, but what I'm saying is, is that it's physically impossible for the human ear to hear the difference.

I won't argue very hard against your first statement. :) It's virtually impossible to hear a difference between noise being at -96 dB, and -144 dB.

But digital noise isn't non-existent. Quantization noise is exactly where the bit depth says it will be. 96 dB below peak signal level at 16-bit, and 144 dB down at 24-bit. Dithering changes the character of the noise, and can improve those numbers for practical measurements.
My bad, it was actually bad wording. I blame tapatalk and typing on a phone :)

Thanks for clarifying!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information