Episode 1: Short Loops [Creating loops in Reason without tempo data]

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EnochLight

31 Jan 2016

Here's a little tutorial I slapped together this evening for handling audio with missing tempo data. Hope some peeps find it helpful; let me know what you think! :)

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

01 Feb 2016

There is still one more thing you could address if you are interested, which is how to find the tempo of the loop rather than force it to your tempo. That way you can save the file with the original tempo in the name so you'll have an idea how far it can be stretched when used in future productions. When I'm browsing loops I'll first look at the loops who's tempo is close to my current song's tempo, which is why I'm suggesting this additional tidbit… ;)

EDIT: You might also mention what to do if the .wav file you import already has tempo data imbedded in it - though it may have tempo data imbedded, you many not know what that tempo actually is, but you will need to disable stretch and bounce before you can do the slice trick to find zero crossings.
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

01 Feb 2016

selig wrote:There is still one more thing you could address if you are interested, which is how to find the tempo of the loop rather than force it to your tempo. That way you can save the file with the original tempo in the name so you'll have an idea how far it can be stretched when used in future productions. When I'm browsing loops I'll first look at the loops who's tempo is close to my current song's tempo, which is why I'm suggesting this additional tidbit… ;)

EDIT: You might also mention what to do if the .wav file you import already has tempo data imbedded in it - though it may have tempo data imbedded, you many not know what that tempo actually is, but you will need to disable stretch and bounce before you can do the slice trick to find zero crossings.
Great suggestion! For episode 2 I planned to do loops from longer material (such as taking a lick from an entire song). I might also include that idea into the same video.

If anyone else has anything they'd like to see showcased, please share!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information