record CV to MIDI Notes?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
VNUprod

15 Jan 2016

Hey Folks,

this time I am here looking for your help. This might get complicated to explain.. :mrgreen: So far I could not find any information about this topic, sadly.

I would love to find a way to record Midi notes via a cv signal.

Example:
Drum Replacement / Sample layering with an existing audiofile (the original recording).
I duplicate or Parallel the audio to filter it, creating a strong separation for the element I want to replace etc. for example a snaredrum.
I use Pulverizer on that track to get a CV signal fron the Follower cv output.
I could route this signal to a Kong to trigger a snare sample, every time the the original snare is hin in the recording and layer the two.

But I want that follower cv out signal to be recorded as midi notes (ideally including velocity/dynamics) to a midi lane, that I can alter and edit afterwards. (or set it to trigger an NNXT containing a multilsampled drumkit, for example)

Is there any Way or RackExtension to do this?

Osmose

15 Jan 2016

As far as i know, now... But, that would be a lovely feature!
If it is indeed possible, slap me in the face for now nowing...
Soundcloud/Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quit the mind, your not quite the mind"- Arcturus Ra -

normen

15 Jan 2016

Well you can use the external MIDI instrument device to create MIDI notes from CV/gate pairs or from one CV signal which gets converted to a MIDI controller signal. Then you can use a virtual loopback MIDI device on your computer to route that back into Reason. Question is if the signal you create works with that.

VNUprod

15 Jan 2016

Guys, that was fast... :)
normen wrote:Well you can use the external MIDI instrument device to create MIDI notes from CV/gate pairs or from one CV signal which gets converted to a MIDI controller signal. Then you can use a virtual loopback MIDI device on your computer to route that back into Reason. Question is if the signal you create works with that.
And we have a Winner! Just tried it and it worked! Awesome, thanks a lot! :thumbs_up:

ljekio

15 Jan 2016

But all virtual midi cables have some latency and probably recorded notes will need shift offset.

btw, when I recorded CV to MIDI CC all of knotty shapes had very simplified curves.

StonyLix

27 Nov 2016

VNUprod wrote:Guys, that was fast... :)
normen wrote:Well you can use the external MIDI instrument device to create MIDI notes from CV/gate pairs or from one CV signal which gets converted to a MIDI controller signal. Then you can use a virtual loopback MIDI device on your computer to route that back into Reason. Question is if the signal you create works with that.
And we have a Winner! Just tried it and it worked! Awesome, thanks a lot! :thumbs_up:

Hmmm... I'm having trouble following how you mean... I've "experimented" but haven't had any luck yet.

I am trying to get CV out of A-List Drummer and record them as a track of midi notes...
not sure how to upload an image here either - (obviously) thanx in advance - there's a gift card in it for anyone who can help me with this ;)
- Toaster aka StonyLix :cool:
Sync for hire: StonyLix@gmail.com :crazy:
:reason: :rebirth: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:
REAPER 5.29, Reason 9, Sibelius 7.5, Kontakt 5, Native Instruments, IKM, Arturia, Waves 8, T-Racks, LoopBe30, TuneSmith

selig
RE Developer

28 Nov 2016

Side note:
Pulveriser would be my last choice for this, as it's triggering is at least 30ms behind the input. MClass Compressor is much faster, but none of these options inside of Reason gives you anything near what a plugin such as Slate Trigger can accomplish (not available in Reason).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2017

I have recorded the midi signal in a midi to audio converted clip, and bounced that to midi, it does work, also, with limitations.

Using the free deadman onenote device also as the loopback receiver.

The Emi trick is great! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Re8et on 21 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

• Information