Replacing 14:2 Mixer EQ with 24db EQ?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dioxide

10 Dec 2015

Does anyone know a good way to recreate the old 14:2 mixer EQ with newer devices?

Here are specs I have found on the net.
24 dB of boost or attenuation at 12 kHz and 80 Hz
http://reason-expert.com/articles/explo ... 142-mixer/

The Spec is the same for Compatible and Improved EQ settings. From what I remember this was a bug fix.
With Reason 2.5, the EQ modules in the Mixer were improved to get an even better sound and character. However, if you want to play back songs made in previous Reason versions, you may want to use the “old” EQ mode to ensure that the songs sound exactly the same. On the back of the Mixer 14:2 you will find a switch for this - select “Improved EQ” for the new EQ types or “Compatible EQ” for the old-style EQ. The parameters are exactly the same in both cases.
Source: Manual

As far as I can see there is only one 24db EQ available as a RE and that's the Uhbik Q. The Uhbik sounds much better but it can't match the 14:2 EQ as the slope differs.

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Dec 2015

You seem to have asked this before. Did not SSL shelf filters at 40Hz and 12kHz fit for the task?
I analysed the 14:2 EQ slopes and found that the spec is incorrect about 80Hz.

tronam

10 Dec 2015

Even though the frequency values don't match, the SSL high shelf at 22khz mimics the 14:2 EQ treble knob curve pretty closely. Same with the low shelf at 40hz.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

dioxide

11 Dec 2015

orthodox wrote:You seem to have asked this before. Did not SSL shelf filters at 40Hz and 12kHz fit for the task?
I analysed the 14:2 EQ slopes and found that the spec is incorrect about 80Hz.
Thanks. Yes the spec in the manual confused me, it claims to be ±24db but actually with a Spectrum Analyser you can see that ±20db is more accurate. Also the low freq range is wrong in the manual.

Thanks for the clarification guys, I promise I won't ask again ;)

dioxide

11 Dec 2015

For anyone else who reads this thread, the difference between 14:2 Compatible and Improved EQ is the Bass. The Treble acts the same in both modes but in Compatible mode the Bass shelf is around 4Khz rather than 40Hz in Improved mode.

dioxide

13 Dec 2015

Thanks Giles, that is a fantastic post as is often the case! This is very helpful and I hope other people will find this helpful also. Thanks again :puf_smile:

submonsterz

13 Dec 2015

Why are you wanting to emulate it ?? I don't understand just use a 14.2 job done ..............

dioxide

13 Dec 2015

submonsterz wrote:Why are you wanting to emulate it ?? I don't understand just use a 14.2 job done ..............
To add more flexibility. Most EQs (inc SSL) include more than two bands. Plus I can remove Insert effects (14:2 mixer) from the Inserts.

submonsterz

13 Dec 2015

dioxide wrote:
submonsterz wrote:Why are you wanting to emulate it ?? I don't understand just use a 14.2 job done ..............
To add more flexibility. Most EQs (inc SSL) include more than two bands. Plus I can remove Insert effects (14:2 mixer) from the Inserts.
Seems work for nothing leave it in add on top would be my way it's easier .
I just converted a track I found I did over at a friends in reason 5 years back I forgot all about it was quicker and easier to leave all the 14.2 I had used or as I split them just copied and replugged back in the tracks then I'm now finding it easier to add and shape with the mixing desk I won't call it an SSL ....

dioxide

13 Dec 2015

I can see you wouldn't want to do the same and I'm not asking for you to agree with my reasons for doing it. There are plenty of tracks where I am leaving them in place. Just if I want to do it, how can it be done? I have some pretty good answers / advice now.

• Information