VCA fader groups with RPG8.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Stranger.

08 Dec 2015

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

08 Dec 2015

I'm not getting this to work without hitting a key each time I want to change the level - not sure where I messed up my setup. Seems you have to hit a key to change levels, and maybe this is the intended design?

There is one issue with using CV for fader control, and that is that when you scale all faders they are not scaled relative to each other according to decibel levels. The result is your relative mix levels will change, not just the overall level (which is the intended goal). It's a shame the CVs were setup this way, as it's unlikely to change in the future.

Not to mention that this setup must be created before you set your fader levels, since you begin by turning down all 'grouped' faders.

One way to get around the fact that faders have to start at the bottom would be to invert the CV level from RPG-8 then use it to REDUCE the levels of all 'grouped' faders. There also may be better CV sources, either the knob in Thor or even a pitch bend lever if you want bi-directional control. You can also offset the Thor Rotary to produce both positive and negative values.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

08 Dec 2015

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Ahornberg

15 Jan 2016

I emulate VCA faders using the free RE Aftermath Audio CV8X4 CV Generator. See my combinator patch attached and feel free to use it.
Attachments
vca faders combinator.zip
(15.4 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Ahornberg

16 Jan 2016

Please forget me previous post. I made some test and recognized that it would'nd work as expected.

So here is my new approach. I use a fader in the SSL console. And I want to get the fader value as CV.
So I take a CV knob and convert it to audio using Thor as described here http://www.reasonexperts.com/Audio-to-CV-in-Reason.html
To get the output of the fader back from audio to CV again I use Thor as described here

As a result I get my VCA fader. This fader doesn't have any audio input and it doesn't have any audio output.

To connect several channels to my VCA fader I need to put an 14:2 Mixer in the insert of every channel.
Then I route the CV value generated by the VCA fader to "Level CV In" on the 1st channel of the 14:2 mixer.

I attached a functional demo that uses no RE at all. Feel free to use it.
Please let me know how you like this approach for generating VCA faders in Reason!
Attachments
vca fader demo.zip
(140 Bytes) Downloaded 77 times

• Information