CV gate that closes and opens tempo synced

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
artotaku

15 Nov 2015

Hello CV-Experts,

I´m scratching around my head for a while on how to do this:
I want a gate/velocity signal where the gate signal closes and opens tempo synced after a button/control is pressed.
The time between closing and reopening the gate should be as short as possible.
Kind of a tempo synced trigger.
I would like to do this preferrably with Reason stock devices e. g. Thor or Matrix or a free RE.
If there is a non-free utility RE that can do this easily, I´m also interested.

Scenario:
1. Gate is open
2. if a button is pressed, the gate signal closes right before a full bar is reached and opens immediately when next bar begins.

Code: Select all

Time ->
1           2           3    (bar)
__________   __________ CV high 
     |    | |
     |    |_|           CV lo (gate closed)
     |
     ^button pressed
Thanks.

challism

15 Nov 2015

If I understand you correctly, this should work. If you need the on/off reversed, you can move the CV out from the splitter/spider from the invert out to the regular out.

Devices used:
Combinator
Subtractor (for LFO signal)
CV Spider/Merger
Pongasoft A/B Switch (free RE)
Alligator
Scope Jr (free RE... to show the signal)

EDIT: The LFO is your input source for the gate/rate. You can change the device to any other LFO that you choose... perhaps Little LFO (another free RE) would be better to increase the sync time beyond 1/32, which is Subtractors fastest setting.

The "CV thru" hookup on the back of Scope Jr will be your output for this setup.
CV SWITCH.zip
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

challism

15 Nov 2015

Here's one using Little LFO. I have the 1st LFO hooked up to the Alligator and the 2nd LFO hooked up to auto-control the on/off switch.
Attachments
CV SWITCH2.zip
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

artotaku

15 Nov 2015

Thanks Challism, will try this out.

Right after writing my post I found another solution, which I´m testing right now.
It´s one Thor where the sequencer is set to Run Mode "One-Shot" and 1 step. The step generates a velocity/gate signal of length 1 % which is then feed into Thor via "CV1 in" and then subtracted from a constant CV signal in the Mod Matrix. That way I get a time synced short gate close/open signal which can be triggered by Thor´s Run button. Only downside is that the gate closing might be right at the beginning of a bar and not slightly before.

challism

15 Nov 2015

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but hopefully you can modify mine (or the Thor option that you spoke of) to get the result you want.

Joerg

18 Nov 2015

Actually its not so difficult and your last approach is the right way.

You only need a Combinator with an RPG-8, a Thor and your sound device (i.e. Malström).

1) Switch Receive Midi off for both Thor and Malström but Receive Midi On for RPG-8 in combinators programmer
2) Switch off the RPG-8 on its front panel, so its not working but just translating the combinators midi input to Note and Gate informations
3) Connect Note out of RPG-8 directly to Note in of Malström
4) Connect Gate out of RPG-8 to CVin1 of Thor
5) Connect CVout1 of Thor to Gate in of Malström
6) set Thors sequencer to Repeat mode, 1 step, speed 4/4 synched, note lenght 98% (and press run)
7) in Thors programmer set CVin1 -> 100 -> CVout1 ->100 -> SeqGate

So the Sequencer scales the gate signal to 0 just before the end of the bar and switches it back to On right at count 1 of the next bar.

When you set the note length to lower values, you can pronounce the gate-off-gap at the end of the bar. When you set other time divisions and/or step numbers, you can sync the gap exactly where you want it (if needed).

• Information