Props tutorial series returns: Super Neat Beat Cheat Sheet series & Quick Mix Fix Tricks Series

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
challism

20 Oct 2015

Nice video series. I would suggest you don't do a Dub Step tutorial for the next one. Trip hop would be cool. And for #5, I would second the suggestion that you do a general drum fill/crescendo tutorial.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ronin

20 Oct 2015

I like a drum fill/crescendo tutorial idea also.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2015

MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM
MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

30 Oct 2015

Episode four is out, for your viewing (music-making) pleasure.

Thanks to people here on the forum who requested Trip Hop. It wasn't a genre I was planning on doing but I think we covered some good territory in this episode that we didn't touch on in other genres - particularly the sound design FX thought process that comes into play after sample selection has occurred.

ScuzzyEye

30 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote:I think we covered some good territory in this episode that we didn't touch on in other genres - particularly the sound design FX thought process that comes into play after sample selection has occurred.
Did we? I stopped watching after 1:40. ;)

Really though, thanks. It gave me something to think about. :)

Wook

30 Oct 2015

Yes! I was so happy to see this tutorial this morning. Nice tips. Thanks. :)

dioxide

30 Oct 2015

Nice tutorial.

For anyone who's interested the UK artists in this genre are mainly from Bristol and the 'Bristol sound' always had a strong dub reggae influence, even if it's not obvious. That's where the sidesticks and reverb comes from even though it is fused with hip hop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_underground_scene
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Mighty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_ ... nd_system)

esselfortium

30 Oct 2015

Another nice tutorial, Ryan! If you're planning on doing more of these, I'd like to join those who've asked for a Glitch video. I've got some methods, but I always wonder if there are easier or more powerful ways I haven't thought of, and I'd be really interested to see what your ideas on it would be!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

tt_lab

30 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote:Episode four is out, for your viewing (music-making) pleasure.

Thanks to people here on the forum who requested Trip Hop. It wasn't a genre I was planning on doing but I think we covered some good territory in this episode that we didn't touch on in other genres - particularly the sound design FX thought process that comes into play after sample selection has occurred.
I can't thank you enough for this tutorial. I am in the middle of the preparation of my first album and it is a trip hop album.
This gave me some perspective about my drums. I've been using both methods looping and also programing but I will review my programed drums and add some more grit to them where they need.
dioxide wrote:Nice tutorial.

For anyone who's interested the UK artists in this genre are mainly from Bristol and the 'Bristol sound' always had a strong dub reggae influence, even if it's not obvious. That's where the sidesticks and reverb comes from even though it is fused with hip hop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_underground_scene
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Mighty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_ ... und_system)
Routing dub delays and reverbs in reason is a pleasure and automation works very well. I've been using this a lot. Thanx for the links.

Ronin

30 Oct 2015

Really liked this latest video, good work!

FYI, the expression "In and out double double" doesn't mean much outside America, most of us dont have that restaurant ;-P

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

30 Oct 2015

Ronin wrote:FYI, the expression "In and out double double" doesn't mean much outside America, most of us dont have that restaurant ;-P
Yeah but you saw a picture of a double cheeseburger on screen while I'm explaining a double layered sample... I didn't really leave you confused there did I? :)

stephensmattlee

31 Oct 2015

Another great tutorial video Ryan :) Really cool to see other less current mainstream genres being represented. Was great to see both approaches to the drums, i.e. the traditional loop approach by chopping up old drum breaks from vinyl and also the freedom of creating more unique drums by using using individual samples and processing them for the same effect :)
Looking forward to part 5 ...

stephensmattlee

31 Oct 2015

Just a thought, but what about the possibility of creating a video on manipulating sounds/samples to create abstract rhythmic parts for things like TV/Film cues?

(If only Reason had video support :roll: )

sdst
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2015

the tutorial are much appreciate, thank

this is one of the best ways to promote reason

craven

31 Oct 2015

yes, a very good way to promote Reason (esp. 8), I enjoyed the tutorials a lot. The trip hop one turned out very nice as well!
:ugeek:

RhysHuntley89

01 Nov 2015

Love these. Props videos have always been amazing, and I hope this indicates that we can expect more regular videos after the past year having been relatively quiet.

ScuzzyEye

21 Nov 2015

No one linked to the Liquid D'n'B video yet?

Data_Shrine

21 Nov 2015

I love the trip-hop one. And can't wait to try out the do-it-with-loops technique when times allows :)

Emian

22 Nov 2015

i'd like to sugest a tutorial on Techno... the monotone detroit style where all things sound loopy & yet things stay interresting trough small variations ...

besides that a tutorial for the "Drumcode" sound would be cool to (like what Beyer & Lekebush contributed to the soundbank....) ...

& oh, speaking of Drumcode; Alan Fitzpatrick still claims Reason is the biggest part of his studio, so why not get him aboard & do a tutorial?

Guy is at the top of his career now worldwide , so it would be a great boost for Reason as well to have such famous name on board (in that genre i mean) .....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

EnochLight

22 Nov 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:No one linked to the Liquid D'n'B video yet?
Thanks; just posted it in the OP. Been a little busy this past week and totally missed this one!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

decibel

22 Nov 2015

hey ryan, how about doing one that covers super messed up glitch with lots of fx and automated tempo changes etc ;)

rcyaya

08 Feb 2016

Ryanharlin, I would find these kinds of tutorials much more useful if they weren't so face paced, driveby style. I mean, it helps immensely to know why someone is doing something, not merely what they are doing.

For example, watching the tutorial on liquid drums, you pick some samples without any explanation of why you picked those samples. How did you arrive at using those specific samples? How about demonstrating a bit on why they worked and why others didn't. And when you came to sequencing in Redrum, there wasn't any explanation or demonstration of why you chose steps 1 and 11 and 3 and 11 for the kick. Is that a staple of this style of drums? I don't know. Another example is when you got to parallel compression you said something to the effect of, "Do you hear what a difference that makes?". And I'm thinking, "No, not really. It went by so fast with such little demonstration that I didn't have time to process it."

I hope the above is taken in a positive way as viewer feedback, as it is intended.

pushedbutton

14 May 2016

How about a genre agnostic video on how drums are used.
What do drums do during a verse? what changes during the chorus? how much variation is needed between a first and second verse? how do you find a balance between consistency and variety? When should drums stfu to maximum effect? How do I take a beat and make it a full drum track? What tricks are used to build and release tension? What's a ghost note for? How much does velocity play a part in make a track sound more natural? etc... most of these have nothing to do with genre but everything to do with good beats.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

EnochLight

16 Oct 2016

Updated the series in the first post. Sorry for the absence!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Tom_Har

17 Oct 2016

:question: Dancehall and Moombahton Drums Tutorial :D

• Information