Props tutorial series returns: Super Neat Beat Cheat Sheet series & Quick Mix Fix Tricks Series

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
tiker01
Posts: 1185
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote:
zeebot wrote:The beat videos will be appreciated by people just starting out using reason or making music in general
That's the exact intent of this series. If you've been making music for a bit, this series isn't for you. But we all had to learn at some point and this series is for those people.

You'll probably get more out of my next planned series that I'm cooking up, which will be me sharing some of my mix tips and exploring the big mixer in all its glory.
I like these videos no matter what. It can be entertaining to anybody even if it is not super useful. However, someone might learn some trick by looking at basic concepts utilised every day in other genres.

I think there were two missed opportunities in this video which you could easily include in the next one

a) Shift+drag to auto (re)route devices
b) AltGr+mouse pointer tool to access the line tool if one needs long gradients (newcomers might not know if there is such a tool as it icon has been removed)
    
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 10
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 08 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:I sent you a personal message when you posted this with a two min example file for an idea but sadly you've totally not even looked or opened the personal message on here still says to this day unread ........
Hey wow!!! Look at that. I didn't even notice that message notification. Mentioning it here is a much better way to get my attention. Even though the transition is older, I'm still not new to the new site format yet.

I like what you've done here and it's in line with one thought I've had for the 5th video: Experimental methods to add glitchy sounds to your beats.

It would be a little more advanced than the other videos (like you have here, using sends in ReDrum and bigger combinators perhaps) but as the last video in the series a little more technical stuff might be okay. Thanks for the suggestion. It gets ideas turning. :)

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 08 Oct 2015

tiker01 wrote:
b) AltGr+mouse pointer tool to access the line tool if one needs long gradients (newcomers might not know if there is such a tool as it icon has been removed)
THAT'S HOW TO DO THAT!!! :shock: While I was doing that part of the video I was like... wait... isn't there some way to draw lines? I haven't done that in forever because I just do it the way I did in the video - steady-handed.

Thanks for reminding me of that key command!!

User avatar
submonsterz
Posts: 968
Joined: 07 Feb 2015

Post 08 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote:
submonsterz wrote:I sent you a personal message when you posted this with a two min example file for an idea but sadly you've totally not even looked or opened the personal message on here still says to this day unread ........
Hey wow!!! Look at that. I didn't even notice that message notification. Mentioning it here is a much better way to get my attention. Even though the transition is older, I'm still not new to the new site format yet.

I like what you've done here and it's in line with one thought I've had for the 5th video: Experimental methods to add glitchy sounds to your beats.

It would be a little more advanced than the other videos (like you have here, using sends in ReDrum and bigger combinators perhaps) but as the last video in the series a little more technical stuff might be okay. Thanks for the suggestion. It gets ideas turning. :)
I was hoping you would go bingo poly rhythmic beats African log drums etc redrum can muster some nice rhythms using the step in offsets etc.
one thing I would like you to try put in a video was the difference in the two modes of the decay gate selector.
ie when used and placed into the sequencer time line notes to track as people like to do. I get asked soo many times by people why when I have the mode set to gate it chops off the notes I have in redrum sequencer . which I then have to explain you have to draw the note lengths in the sequencer as they get plotted in from notes to track as 1/32 and will get cut there and also your length dial if set less will also cut it as well sharper.
so maybe mentioning that somehow in a more easy to understand way than I can I can then point them to the video lol.

User avatar
freeQlow
Posts: 616
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: East Coast

Post 13 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote:Yeah hey guys! What other drum styles should I do?
How about a general Drum Fill, Drum Loop Crescendo 101.

If not styles, then perhaps Tempos or even "Vintage Machine & Sampler edit tricks" like Swing, Chop, Layer, Bounce.

Nice video!

User avatar
craven
Posts: 573
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote: One that's come up repeatedly that I wasn't thinking of doing but might now is Trip Hop.
hey Ryan, enjoying your beat making series. I'd also like to see one about Trip Hop! :thumbs_up:
:ugeek:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5740
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Oct 2015

EnochLight wrote:I'm looking forward to more of these!
Since Ryan has uploaded more videos to this thread...

Do you think you could update the title to be more inclusive in regards to the series and maybe update the first post with the other videos as they arrive? Then maybe we can pin the thread :)

It's a really great tutorial series.

Thanks!

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 14 Oct 2015

craven wrote: hey Ryan, enjoying your beat making series. I'd also like to see one about Trip Hop! :thumbs_up:
Thanks Craven! One thing this comment made me want to ask you or anyone else here who's gone "Yeah! Do that style!":

Are you asking because it's a style you'd like to learn how to make or because it's a style you currently make and would like to see your genre represented?

I can't tell if answers to this question is like if I was making a travel documentary and people said: "Do one about Nepal! I've always wanted to see Nepal!" vs. "Do one about Delaware! That's where I live!"

User avatar
craven
Posts: 573
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote: Thanks Craven! One thing this comment made me want to ask you or anyone else here who's gone "Yeah! Do that style!":

Are you asking because it's a style you'd like to learn how to make or because it's a style you currently make and would like to see your genre represented?
I was commenting because it's a style I like a lot listening to and thought that I could use a tutorial to make Trip Hop myself. I never tried that so far. Then again, as you pointed out already, there is something to learn in any of these tuts, regardless the style. So I'm curious to see what you are up to next in any case!
:ugeek:

User avatar
Alkua
Posts: 257
Joined: 30 Apr 2015

Post 14 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote:Yeah hey guys! What other drum styles should I do?
What about something Latin. Reggaeton or Moonbahton

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Posts: 1061
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote:Are you asking because it's a style you'd like to learn how to make or because it's a style you currently make and would like to see your genre represented?
I asked for trip hop also. It's a style of music I really like, and have wanted to make, but haven't sat down to try. I've read the Dummy 33⅓ book, about making Portishead's album. I have a general idea on how to get the lethargic, drawn out sound, but I'd love to see video pulling the beat apart. To provide a bit more of a how-to, giving a good jumping off point.

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 14 Oct 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: I asked for trip hop also. It's a style of music I really like, and have wanted to make, but haven't sat down to try.
Thanks for the excellent feedback ScuzzyEye! And and oooh-boy... Dummy is an amazing album!

When I lived in the UK I went to see the live film they put out in select cinemas for their 2nd album. My british friends brought me but I went into the live performance film unaware of the band at all and walked out a HUGE fan.

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 14 Oct 2015

craven wrote:I was commenting because it's a style I like a lot listening to and thought that I could use a tutorial to make Trip Hop myself
Thanks Craven. Great to know. And I'm glad you didn't think I was singling you out in any negative way because I quoted your message. It was just the comment that finally made me wonder the motivation behind these requests.

Because my feeling is that if there's a style that WE ALL make and people just want to see the way that I personally approach it - well, maybe that's interesting in some kinda way - but I'd rather be exploring some new territory together. And like you say (or like you say I say), there's something in each tutorial that's applicable to any style. Tonight I'm recording the Electro Pop video all about Reason's SECRET drum machine.

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: ;) :o :o :o :lol: :? TEASER ALERT!!!! :? :lol: :o :o :o ;) :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

User avatar
craven
Posts: 573
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Oct 2015

ryanharlin wrote: Reason's SECRET drum machine.
that's why I love pattern to track so much. I usually start with ReDrum and then copy some pattern ideas to the SPOILER, well you know, the secret drum machine :)
:ugeek:

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 15 Oct 2015

craven wrote:
ryanharlin wrote: Reason's SECRET drum machine.
that's why I love pattern to track so much. I usually start with ReDrum and then copy some pattern ideas to the SPOILER, well you know, the secret drum machine :)
:silent: :silent: :shh: :shh: :shh:

User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 15 Oct 2015

Triphop is a good idea :)

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 15 Oct 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Triphop is a good idea :)
Yeah I think in thanks to you guys on this forum, it's all but decided that I'll do Trip Hop as the fourth installment. The 5th and (currently planned) final installment is still up in the air. Some people have made a good case for glitchy drum stuff, even if it goes beyond the beginner/intermediate pace of these tutorials. Other people asking for reggae variants might be good too because, while it's not a style I make day to day it is surprisingly (to me) popular. I realized that when I was doing Music Making Month (there's a #throwbackthursday reference!).

User avatar
Last Alternative
Posts: 988
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: the lost desert

Post 17 Oct 2015

Break beat tutorial, please.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 10 | iMac (27" Retina 5K, late 2015): i7 Skylake @ 4GHz, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Radeon M395X | Universal Audio Apollo Twin mkII solo | M-Audio Oxygen25 | Yamaha hs5 | badass mics, guitars & bass

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1249
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 17 Oct 2015

Last Alternative wrote:Break beat tutorial, please.
I second this!
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 4971
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Oct 2015

joeyluck wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I'm looking forward to more of these!
Since Ryan has uploaded more videos to this thread...

Do you think you could update the title to be more inclusive in regards to the series and maybe update the first post with the other videos as they arrive?
Sorry for the delay.. DONE!
joeyluck wrote:Then maybe we can pin the thread :)

It's a really great tutorial series.
That would be bad ass. Mods/admin?? ;)
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
ryanharlin
Posts: 138
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 19 Oct 2015

Aha... oh then maybe I should update ep 3 into this thread instead of creating new threads for each episode. Hmmm... just in case here it is again!


User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1189
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 19 Oct 2015

You give good video, Ryan
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

jallen97
Posts: 61
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Oct 2015

These are so great!!!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5740
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 20 Oct 2015

EnochLight wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I'm looking forward to more of these!
Since Ryan has uploaded more videos to this thread...

Do you think you could update the title to be more inclusive in regards to the series and maybe update the first post with the other videos as they arrive?
Sorry for the delay.. DONE!
joeyluck wrote:Then maybe we can pin the thread :)

It's a really great tutorial series.
That would be bad ass. Mods/admin?? ;)
DONE! ;)

Thanks for the edit! :)

User avatar
JNeffLind
Posts: 977
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: So. Illinois, USA

Post 20 Oct 2015

freeQlow wrote:
ryanharlin wrote:Yeah hey guys! What other drum styles should I do?
How about a general Drum Fill, Drum Loop Crescendo 101.
I like this idea as well. Kind of an all purpose one that bridges styles.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests