Could an RE allow legato scripting between NN-XTs?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

This is probably a pretty esoteric request, but here goes:

Some of Impact Soundworks' Kontakt instruments make use of scripting for pre-recorded legato slides between notes, to avoid the artificial sound of pitch-bending a single note sample. Currently there's no way to replicate this behavior in NN-XT. How feasible would it be to create a Distributor-like RE that would monophonically assign incoming notes to different devices based on the interval between a held note and an additional note? For instance, if you hold C#3 and then press F3, it would stop sending C#3 to the NN-XT loaded with "standard" notes, and send a F3 event to the NN-XT loaded with "Legato Up 3" for a three-semitone slide to the desired note.

A free or inexpensive device with this functionality would give some exciting new power to Combinator/NN-XT based instrument developers, without requiring IDT.

(Of course, if NN-XT supported Blamsoft's polyphonic CV, even more would be possible...)
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 Jul 2015

esselfortium wrote:pre-recorded legato slides between notes [...] Currently there's no way to replicate this behavior in NN-XT)

Not true at all, as legato/alt sample keyswitching is perfectly possible in a Combinator using NNXT and Thor, and it uses "Receive Notes", so functionally it's the same as stopping notes being sent when pressing a specific switching key: to use it monophonically, just press one key switch at a time! ;)

Both Reason Bass and my PerfGuitar 'Fills, as well as a couple of the orchestra 'Fills (Euphonic Strings?), contain such pre-recorded bends.

Without more CV ins and more Combi programming slots to route them, I can't really see how a dedicated RE would help you any more than the currently available possibilities. The maximum number of switches is 8, but in practice you want the knobs available for other controls, so typically it's just 4 (plus the non-switched default).

esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

I'm aware of the keyswitching currently possible using Thor, but this is a bit different in practice.
Sarah Mancuso

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 Jul 2015

Yes, the triggering is different (dedicated keyswitch as opposed to simply legato playing), but you began by stating it was currently impossible to do keyswitching to legato samples at all, thus clearly giving the impression you weren't aware ;)

The Thor-Combi route was at best a clever kludge, but with IDT an RE solution might be rather redundant, and rather niche, when it can be scripted properly as a dedicated sample player. But yes, to answer your question, it's probably quite achievable, effectively replace Thor and the Combi programmer with a single device. But it still wouldn't be a scriptable system, merely a fairly dumb gate switcher.

esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

In somewhat related news, it appears that Impact Soundworks is planning to do an IDT port of Shreddage 2, as of February. I hope that's still in progress and that IDT is capable of handling their needs. (And I hope they'll do lots more IDT ports!)
Sarah Mancuso

• Information