Latency compensation with the VMG-01. Includes: how to compensate latent send FX.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 29 Jun 2015

[edit] URL Updated for a vid with better audio

Hi,

I made my first video ever. Ofcourse its a vid on Reason.

In this video i show you how to work with Normen Hansens VMG 01 to do latency corrections in various scenarios.
Its quite long at 9:30 but it covers a lot. Its also purely technical and a tad dry so be warned.

I'm starting out simple with paralell channels, how to measure latency and where to put the VMG.
I'll then go into a couple of advanced examples. Especially how to use the VMG to correct for latency when using latent devices in send FX.

To skip the easy part and go directly to the part about sendfx click here or skip to 2:09.



The project file i used is on the bottom of this post.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
hamu
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jun 2015

Nice vid eauhm!
Congrats to your first 1! :s0826:

superpop
Posts: 125
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jun 2015

Thank you, eauhm.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7195
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jun 2015

eauhm wrote:Hi,

I made my first video ever. Ofcourse its a vid on Reason.

In this video i show you how to work with Normen Hansens VMG 01 to do latency corrections in various scenarios.
Its quite long at 9:30 but it covers a lot. Its also purely technical and a tad dry so be warned.

I'm starting out simple with paralell channels, how to measure latency and where to put the VMG.
I'll then go into a couple of advanced examples. Especially how to use the VMG to correct for latency when using latent devices in send FX.

To skip the easy part and go directly to the part about sendfx click here or skip to 2:09.



The project file i used is on the bottom of this post.
Awesome tutorial - nice work! Can I make a suggestion though? Your narration needs to be leveled and maximized/compressed. I could barely hear some words as your levels were all over the place. Otherwise, nice video.

Cheers
Win 10 | Reason 12 |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 30 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote: Awesome tutorial - nice work! Can I make a suggestion though? Your narration needs to be leveled and maximized/compressed. I could barely hear some words as your levels were all over the place. Otherwise, nice video. Cheers
Thank you!

I'll work on the audio tonight and upload a 2nd version ! I should've done that straight away but hey.. beginner here when it comes to vocals ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jun 2015

eauhm wrote:Thank you!

I'll work on the audio tonight and upload a 2nd version ! I should've done that straight away but hey.. beginner here ;)
If you have it use Seligs Leveler for this, its pretty much perfect for these kinds of things and doesn't pull up the noise floor too much.

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 30 Jun 2015

eauhm wrote:Thank you!

I'll work on the audio tonight and upload a 2nd version ! I should've done that straight away but hey.. beginner here ;)
normen wrote:
If you have it use Seligs Leveler for this, its pretty much perfect for these kinds of things and doesn't pull up the noise floor too much.
Yes i used the leveler, and the new vid is up here
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests