Mixdown questions

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

22 Feb 2015

I have a really good bassline in the track I'm working on and it has almost become the centre piece of the track, it even breaks down to a solo of just the kick + bassline.

I have a sort of 303 acid arpeggio going through most of the track so there are lots of low and high notes. The problem I am having is mixing this with the bassline, using the 'boost and cut' method. As soon as I try and make even the smallest EQ cut at any frequency of the bassline it takes away too much and leaves it lifeless compared to what it was :'(

I attached a sample and you can probably immediately hear the bassline is too loud, but this is kind of how I want it, there is a lot more for it to battle as the track progresses. Am I being too biased with the bassline and having it way too loud? What I am hoping for is some idea / method of helping these two fit together without having to take away anything from the bassline, as I mentioned as soon as I do it becomes lifeless.

Jagwah EQ question.zip     

As it is a lead and bassline they are both centered panoramically, one idea I had was to take the acid line and split it to two mix channels, and take one fairly hard left and the other right, while bringing the width of each to the thinnest possible amount. I figured this would take it out of the way of the centered bassline but it didn't seem to work. It's just an idea I was playing with and I don't understand why it doesn't work?

Cheers.

Attachments
Jagwah_EQ_question.zip
(5.26 MiB) Downloaded 58 times

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2015

Sounds pretty balanced to me - I wouldn't cut the bass line at any lower frequency, because then one note can end up louder than another and I prefer to have all bass notes the same energy. Try cutting untested on any instrument that doesn't drive the song so much. 

You are already playing a softer bass note on the beat with the kicks and that is helping IMO. Sounds like you are at a "fine tuning" stage here with micro adjustments being the only thing required to my ear (depending on what you're going for, as always). 

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

22 Feb 2015

Hey Selig thanks a lot for chiming in. I will try and cut from other instruments instead, biggest problem at the moment is having that acid line not washed out by everything else so I guess a bit of trial and error and I'll see if I can manage it. Thanks again :)

• Information