Sidechain on Busses Questions

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
drez

13 Feb 2015

Hi All,

I am working on my sidechaining in Reason and have a few questions:

1. What do people use to drive their sidechain sources? I've thought about building a ReDrum on a "sidechain" SSL channel that has a kick (and snare possibly) that are driven by CV input from the CV Output of the Kick (and possibly snare) on my Kong with the "main source" I'd like to drive the sidechain with. This way I don't have to program the MIDI notes on the redrum if I do something different that 4 on the floor. Is this a good option?

2. What's the best compressor suggestions (i.e. RE recommendations) to drive the bus channel sidechain compression? Any preferences for this specific function? I'd like something with a quick attack, I would think, for most of my needs.

3. Do any of you "bus the bus" to put sidechain on one of them and dial in the amount you'd like into the parallel channel?

I'm not very good at articulating, so please bear with me.

Thanks in Advance!

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Feb 2015

If you want the compressor to be controlled not by actual content but with some artificial signal, I think the best is to use simple square wave, with filters off, amp ADSR envelope as you like.

drez

13 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:If you want the compressor to be controlled not by actual content but with some artificial signal, I think the best is to use simple square wave, with filters off, amp ADSR envelope as you like.
Excellent idea. Will switch that to a Subtractor instead of a Redrum?

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Feb 2015

drez wrote:Will switch that to a Subtractor instead of a Redrum?
Yes, Subtractor will do. The main filter is switched off in LP12 mode, Freq=max, Res=0, Kbd=0, Filt Env amt=0.
drez wrote:3. Do any of you "bus the bus" to put sidechain on one of them and dial in the amount you'd like into the parallel channel?
I made sidechained parallel channels for a bus in order to control bell-style EQ levels. Inserted a BP filter into the p.channel and controlled the level by sidechaining the compressor or gate extender.

The p.channel input can be inverted if you need downward EQ bell. -- Edit: this is not true due to phase shifts.

ALOYSIUS

02 Mar 2015

I love that idea, using an oscillator as the sidechain signal instead of a percussion sample. so genius for funky lfo sidechains. imagine that oscillator signal with an lfo tool added. you could sidechain crazy patterns, etc. so many possibilities. 

• Information