People using reason as a rewire slave

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
zakalwe

06 Feb 2015

I'm curious as to how other people do this and their little tips and tricks.  there's so many ways, especially with reason 6 and up with the mixer channel breakouts.

personally i have a basic reaper template for my host setup and use combinators on the reason side and route everything on the fly.  I also keep the master bus rewired until i'm ready to breakout individual channels.  I do all sequencing and editing on the host side.

combinators were made for rewire, as you can assign all the parameters on your devices to the rotaries and buttons on the combinator and then just remember the CC values (71 and up i think) for MIDI automation on your host side. and they zip up and hide everything you're not using which is handy.

the other thing i like to do is use line mixers if i want to use a reverb or delay on a send and then rewire the return to the host, leaving it at about 64 (50%) on the send so it's not running too hot and control the return on the fader.

i prefer doing most of the processing on the host side because free plugins and PDC, unless it's creative and CV routing is a plus, for LFO/filterbank stuff etc etc.

I'm constantly feeling like there's more to learn and i'm doing it dumb so how do you guys do it?

zakalwe

06 Feb 2015

i thought it was dumb and a workflow killer until i got it down (still working on it though) but it's all in setup, which you can get good at (and it's complex in reaper because reaper) and my host has better audio and MIDI editing capability so even if i have to bounce MIDI and audio back and forth it's less hassle overall.  what i do is keep a bounce folder sorted to last modified item so what i need is always there at the top.

QVprod

06 Feb 2015

I never Rewire all the mixer channels. All I need is the master mix. I generally only Rewire when Im using VIs along with Reason. If I ever needed to automate something, it's easily accessible within Studio One.

When all sequencing is done. I bounce everything as audio for mixing. Saves dsp that way.

jfrichards

07 Feb 2015

I would love to do Reason rewired into Logic regularly but it crashes at least once per session.  So I stopped doing it.  Way too infuriating.

Ostermilk

07 Feb 2015

I tend to kick off a project solely in Reason at the outset.

I'll rewire if I want to add fx, mess with multi-mic stems to keep phase relationships intact in the host, do some fine tuning of midi parts that can't be done effectively in Reason and again if I want some specific VSTi's.

I send midi in either direction from Reason to VSTi or Host to Reason depending on what I'm working on.

I used to use individual outs per channel and sometimes aux returns too but mostly these days I keep the main mix and maybe just a couple of sub-mixes as well to keep the workload down, then likely I will just finish the mix off in the host with any VST's and VSTi's in place although occasionally if I get low on CPU I'll bounce and mix any rendered audio back in Reason.

Any mastering I just use a stereo mix of the project in Studio One's Prof's mastering page.

Rewire is such an integral part of my workflow and I can't remember the last time I ran into any issues with it, but then Reason didn't have any audio capabilities when I first started using it so I've always treated much like a VSTi although less so now Reason has grown up as much as it has.

Rice

07 Feb 2015

QVprod wrote:I never Rewire all the mixer channels. All I need is the master mix. I generally only Rewire when Im using VIs along with Reason. If I ever needed to automate something, it's easily accessible within Studio One. When all sequencing is done. I bounce everything as audio for mixing. Saves dsp that way.
Yeah QV, I use a very similar approach

Data_Shrine

09 Feb 2015

I have templates both in my host and in reason. All reason channels are independent and ready to be used in my host. I do the majority of arranging in the host, except for pattern lanes (dr octo rex, reDrum)  It works well and it's fast/easy to get creative :)

Gorilla Texas

09 Feb 2015

I rewire into a s1 template i created, reason channels already there. All I have to do is click on Reason at the bottom in the mixer. My 2i4 uses stereo channels for 1-2 and mono for 3-4 so that's how I route out of Reason. My reason autoload consists of two 14 channel mixers,one for stereo out on 1-2 and one for mono out on 3-4. I send all kick drums out of Kong to the mono mixer and everything else to the stereo mixer. I've noticed my drums hit harder and I can push my kicks harder without drowning the snare for example.

• Information