Classic studio tricks: Reverse Reverb

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EnochLight

03 Feb 2015

I hope Selig doesn't mind me plugging this here.  It's one of my favorite effects and a classic studio production trick - reverse reverb!  Love this on beginning vocals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k11cZldcMSk

Many thanks to Selig for making this back in the day.  I still use it in Reason 8.1.  

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

Jimmy Page claimed to be the inventor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_echo

EnochLight

03 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:Jimmy Page claimed to be the inventor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_echo
I'm curious if he claimed that before or after Zep ripped off dozens of other songs and claimed them as their own..?   :s0238: :s0225:

jk!  

It's an awesome effect, though.  Doing it in Reason is so easy, too.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Rice

03 Feb 2015

It's funny...I was just thinking of using this sort of effect on a track I'm working on...and BAMM! you saved me the trouble of looking this video up...many thanks Enoch!

selig
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

Thanks for re-posting this here!

IMO magnetic tape itself was the "inventor", or at least the original inspiration for the effect. 

Pre Echo (called "pre print" when speaking specifically about analog tape anomalies) happens naturally with analog tape when stored "heads out". You'll hear this quite clearly in some cases, as a series of increasing pre-echos before the actual recorded audio. Sound familiar, Jimmy Page?!? 

Every engineer has heard this artifact from the beginning of the analog tape era, and it was just a matter of time before someone decided to do it "on purpose". Which is exactly what I said the first time I accidentally heard Autotune with the ReTune parameter set too fast…

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

MarkTarlton

03 Feb 2015

beatles did it before jimi page did it...backwards hi hats chokes are pretty rad!

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

MarkTarlton wrote:beatles did it before jimi page did it...backwards hi hats chokes are pretty rad!
beatles just reversed hihats, they did not do echo/reverb with double reverse

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

03 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:Jimmy Page claimed to be the inventor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_echo
EnochLight wrote:
I'm curious if he claimed that before or after Zep ripped off dozens of other songs and claimed them as their own..?   :s0238:
I'm glad someone beat me to pointing this out. I adored Led Zeppelin. I still think they're a fantastic band - something more akin to a cover band - but still fantastic at what they do.

But finding out how many guys Page ripped off was like finding out there's no Santa Claus. As much as that sucked, I honor the truth and point it out whenever Page is given undue credit. The guys he robbed deserve us all attaching "thief" to Jimmy's name whenever it's mentioned. He flat out took writing credits from dudes and profited off the publishing for DECADES and elevated himself to a fake reputation as a legendary blues writer. I mean... unforgivable.

MarkTarlton

04 Feb 2015

MarkTarlton wrote:beatles did it before jimi page did it...backwards hi hats chokes are pretty rad!
orthodox wrote:beatles just reversed hihats, they did not do echo/reverb with double reverse
they reversed lyrics, guitar solos, drums, all sorts of stuff :)

-008'

04 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
I'm curious if he claimed that before or after Zep ripped off dozens of other songs and claimed them as their own..?   :s0238:
ryanharlin wrote:
I'm glad someone beat me to pointing this out. I adored Led Zeppelin. I still think they're a fantastic band - something more akin to a cover band - but still fantastic at what they do.

But finding out how many guys Page ripped off was like finding out there's no Santa Claus. As much as that sucked, I honor the truth and point it out whenever Page is given undue credit. The guys he robbed deserve us all attaching "thief" to Jimmy's name whenever it's mentioned. He flat out took writing credits from dudes and profited off the publishing for DECADES and elevated himself to a fake reputation as a legendary blues writer. I mean... unforgivable.
Background: I cut my teeth (fingers?) on playing the blues with my dad, and then learning/playing along to zep albums later on growing up.

If we're goin to rip ol' Jimbo about this stuff i think its worth noting that every blues artist E.V.E.R. Is a stone cold thief and completely unoriginal.. LOL To this day they just regurgitate the same old tired stuff over and over and over...with their own twist. You can't even trace it back to any originators, because the only time that stuff was actually original was before humans could record audio.

In that same way that blues artists operate, Jimmy just took stuff and did it better. ...I think I might buy him a "lol u mad bro?" T-shirt. He's at the very least earned that.

With all that considered and said... If you show me the "original" stuff Jimi "stole" I guarantee you that the zep track is better, according to a vast majority of people. ;) That has to be worth something.

Oh well... Here's to the next Jimi Page....(stealing everything from Discover.) :D

Exit, stage left, singing: *Jimi jacked riffs and I don't care, Jimi jacked riffs and I don't care..."
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

MarkTarlton

04 Feb 2015

-008' wrote:Background: I cut my teeth (fingers?) on playing the blues with my dad, and then learning/playing along to zep albums later on growing up. If we're goin to rip ol' Jimbo about this stuff i think its worth noting that every blues artist E.V.E.R. Is a stone cold thief and completely unoriginal.. LOL To this day they just regurgitate the same old tired stuff over and over and over...with their own twist. You can't even trace it back to any originators, because the only time that stuff was actually original was before humans could record audio. In that same way that blues artists operate, Jimmy just took stuff and did it better. ...I think I might buy him a "lol u mad bro?" T-shirt. He's at the very least earned that. With all that considered and said... If you show me the "original" stuff Jimi "stole" I guarantee you that the zep track is better, according to a vast majority of people. ;) That has to be worth something. Oh well... Here's to the next Jimi Page....(stealing everything from Discover.) :D Exit, stage left, singing: *Jimi jacked riffs and I don't care, Jimi jacked riffs and I don't care..."
absolutely! jimi page managed to take some older songs and straight jacked them while taking ownership, but they(led zep) didn't just copy it, they had john freaking bonham one of the best drummers of all time, and jpj to supply a crushing rhythm section...yes they ripped a lot of it off, but they managed to make some pretty epic tunes and records and they had their own sound that no other band to this day has come close to in my honest opinion!!

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

04 Feb 2015

-008' wrote:If you show me the "original" stuff Jimi "stole" I guarantee you that the zep track is better, according to a vast majority of people. ;) That has to be worth something
Yeah it's worth something... it's worth the mechanical royalties they should've collected for their recording being the preferred version of that song in the same way that Quiet Riot's Come on Feel the Noise or Hey Mickey by Toni Basil were more popular than the original.

I won't hijack this thread by posting examples... we don't need to prove the point. The lawsuits, subsequent judgements in favor of the original writers, and the updated liner notes speak for themselves.

And mind you, I LOVE Led Zeppelin and they did some great original material too. But that doesn't make what they did okay. I can hold two opinions on them, and do.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2015

Who the heck is "Jimi" Page?
Good grief.

Grum.

MarkTarlton

04 Feb 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:Who the heck is "Jimi" Page? Good grief. Grum.
haha...yeah I didn't spell it right either :)

-008'

04 Feb 2015

-008' wrote:If you show me the "original" stuff Jimi "stole" I guarantee you that the zep track is better, according to a vast majority of people. ;) That has to be worth something
ryanharlin wrote:
Yeah it's worth something... it's worth the mechanical royalties they should've collected for their recording being the preferred version of that song in the same way that Quiet Riot's Come on Feel the Noise or Hey Mickey by Toni Basil were more popular than the original.

I won't hijack this thread by posting examples... we don't need to prove the point. The lawsuits, subsequent judgements in favor of the original writers, and the updated liner notes speak for themselves.

And mind you, I LOVE Led Zeppelin and they did some great original material too. But that doesn't make what they did okay. I can hold two opinions on them, and do.
But you're missing my larger point and that is that any one Jimmy "stole" from, is also no less a thief than him. ;)

Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, Blind lemon Jefferson, Howlin Wolf.... These guys came up in a time where it didnt matter who wrote or "owned" a song... It only mattered who played it better, or more often.

Any of those guys that got "jimmy jacked" had previously "stolen" their song from someone earlier, who had borrowed it from stuff like gospel, hymns, folk stuff... that no one actually "owns" at all.

Anyway, shame on you guys for ignoring my Discover joke at the end...but then, I guess I wasn't joking. :)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

-008' wrote:But you're missing my larger point and that is that any one Jimmy "stole" from, is also no less a thief than him. 
The lawsuits and settlements against Page I think, at least in his case, indicate that his theft was a bit more obvious (and could be proved in court).  But.. as Ryan said, let's not derail the thread.   ;)

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

Rice wrote:It's funny...I was just thinking of using this sort of effect on a track I'm working on...and BAMM! you saved me the trouble of looking this video up...many thanks Enoch!
No problem Rice; glad you got some use out of it!  

NoisyBackpack

04 Feb 2015

Thanks for sharing the video.
I am curious to find out what other reverse techniques people are using.
I use reverse reverbs and delays alot.
Have also read about reverse compression, and how this can give a smoother attack response? 
Any body tried this?

Peace...

orthodox
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

NoisyBackpack wrote:Have also read about reverse compression, and how this can give a smoother attack response?
This should give advance gain reduction. And I guess abrupt releases are extremely rare, thus all peaks will be compressed.

Anyway, it's better to try and listen. I'm going to when I have time.

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

NoisyBackpack wrote:Thanks for sharing the video.
I am curious to find out what other reverse techniques people are using.
I use reverse reverbs and delays alot.
Have also read about reverse compression, and how this can give a smoother attack response? 
Any body tried this?

Peace...

Disclaimer - I've not tried (nor needed) this, but it sounds interesting!

I can see how it can allow a slow attack compressor to potentially catch the peaks better, but there are compressors that can already do this without reversing.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:Who the heck is "Jimi" Page? Good grief. Grum.
Jimi Page wrote:
Well that would be me. :) Hello there Grumpy grandpa!
Jimi Page wrote:Super Led Tip:
Jimi Page wrote: Do my famous reverse reverb you all know so well. Now bounce that to audio and attach a Props' Synchronous Device with a stutter effect... instant Zeppelin-Chopper effect. 

Disclaimer: This here tip was wholesomely invented by yours truly, Jimi Page. So give me some love people.  :kiss:
LMAO!!!!   :t2018: :s0230:

darkmode

06 Feb 2015

To cool! Thanks for re-posting this.. Love this forum.

Cheers.

EnochLight

07 Feb 2015

darkmode wrote:To cool! Thanks for re-posting this.. Love this forum.

Cheers.
No problem!   :s0230:

• Information