Common Mixing Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
SYBRIX
Posts: 6
Joined: 29 Mar 2017
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post 30 Mar 2017

pushedbutton wrote:Decaffeinated Instant Coffee.
Do not drink this stuff and expect a decent mix. The caffeine intake to piss break ratio makes for a very ineffective work flow and you will still be left needing a decent cuppa.
lmfao :lol:
seriously tho

User avatar
GeiddE
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Location: Right here, right now

Post 04 Jun 2017

Worth a second or third read IMHO
Great stuff
Thanks a Million

User avatar
Wickline
Posts: 534
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Location: Japan

Post 04 Jun 2017

And suddenly my relaxing day off is filled with things to revisit and work on. Thanks Selig.

Lol this is great info. I'll be rereading it a few times.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6063
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jun 2017

GeiddE wrote:Worth a second or third read IMHO
Great stuff
Thanks a Million
Definitely :thumbs_up: It's an awesome topic

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6063
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jun 2017

The title makes me think he it could the next Harry Potter world installment :puf_smile:
common-mixing-mistakes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7690
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:The title makes me think he it could the next Harry Potter world installment :puf_smile:
common-mixing-mistakes.jpg
Ha!!!
;)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2137
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 04 Jun 2017

oh man.. i'm guilty of all this stuff. i'm sure i'll learn one day!

Nielsen
Posts: 66
Joined: 05 Nov 2017
Location: Denmark

Post 08 Jan 2018

EDIT: Question deleted. I've identified the blunder which made the overall volume of my mix very low (bad EQ settings on drums).

33db
Posts: 71
Joined: 26 Nov 2017

Post 18 Jan 2018

Good stuff, how do you feel about mixing/mastering with headphones rather than monitors?

User avatar
xxASMxx
Posts: 61
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 03 Sep 2018

Image

There is an insert illustration from McCartney's 'Press to Play' album showing pre-mix panning ideas. I don't know if this will be helpful with regards to panning suggestions or not but it does present a cool visual. Most of these mix positions in the illustration are accurate on the finished tracks of the album. Not one of McCartney's best albums but it sounds very good.

Hopefully you can zoom the attachment.

User avatar
splangie
Posts: 200
Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Location: Park County, Colorado

Post 03 Sep 2018

“I always like to start my mixing day by listening to some records I know and love — ideally in the musical style I will be working in — in the seat I will be sitting in to mix, and over the same D/A converter,” says Doell.

I think this is an excellent point.

Along with all the others.

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3430
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 03 Sep 2018

splangie wrote:
03 Sep 2018
“I always like to start my mixing day by listening to some records I know and love — ideally in the musical style I will be working in — in the seat I will be sitting in to mix, and over the same D/A converter,” says Doell.

I think this is an excellent point.

Along with all the others.
Yeah, I could follow up until the point where "D/A converter" was the end of the sentence - what companies brochure was that from? ;)

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7690
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2018

normen wrote:
splangie wrote:
03 Sep 2018
“I always like to start my mixing day by listening to some records I know and love — ideally in the musical style I will be working in — in the seat I will be sitting in to mix, and over the same D/A converter,” says Doell.

I think this is an excellent point.

Along with all the others.
Yeah, I could follow up until the point where "D/A converter" was the end of the sentence - what companies brochure was that from? ;)
I don’t even think it’s necessary to sit in the same seat or listen to music with the same style.
And how the heck CAN you listen NOT on the same D/A, assuming you’re in the listening position in the mix room… (nice comment, Normen!)


What IS important to me is to listen to music I think sounds good, and sometimes I intentionally listen “ambiently” (not directly) as I’m setting up other parts of the studio.

But I agree with the “listening” and to the “records I know and love” parts…
[emoji6]


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7690
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jan 2019

Handy EQ tips:

https://sonicscoop.com/2018/12/27/the-1 ... nglepage=1

Mistake #1: Only Using Parametric EQs
Mistake #2: Not Learning How to Identify Frequencies by Ear
Mistake #3: Using Too Much EQ on Vocals
Mistake #4: Only Using Subtractive EQ
Mistake #5: Not Knowing What You’re Trying to EQ or Why
Mistake #6: Ignoring the Mix Bus
Mistake #7: Always Soloing Tracks While EQing Them
Mistake #8: EQing Too Subtly
Mistake #9: Buying a Ton of Plugins
Mistake #10: Never Volume-Matching EQs
Mistake #11: Thinking There’s a Secret to Using EQs
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1081
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 19 Feb 2019

Just a completely random thought out of nowhere.

Sometimes a very successful track is made by someone who doesn't have a clue what they're doing. It's important to know when to relax and have fun and not be too concerned with going through a checklist of rules. Be wary of getting overly concerned about what you're 'not allowed' to do.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7690
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 21 Feb 2019

pushedbutton wrote:Just a completely random thought out of nowhere.

Sometimes a very successful track is made by someone who doesn't have a clue what they're doing. It's important to know when to relax and have fun and not be too concerned with going through a checklist of rules. Be wary of getting overly concerned about what you're 'not allowed' to do.
Indeed this is a truth, though I would argue that the person doesn’t have a “clue”. They typically are very bright folks with many clues as to what sounds good and even a few clues as how to get it. Yes, sometimes a remarkable person comes along and astounds as all with their effortless success. And many others don’t need professional training to achieve professional results.

To that specific end I would think this sort of list is actually more aimed at folks like tat than at anyone who is professionally trained or studied, as those with training would likely have little use for a compilation of what has not worked in the past for others.

Think of this more as a guide to what has not worked in the past, rather than as a list of rules that DO work. This is helpful not only to avoid common problems but also to give a starting point for how to solve the most common issues you’re likely to encounter. At least for those of use with no access to professional training or without a strong dose of natural talent.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], mjxl and 1 guest