Fancy a bit of piano improv?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Aosta

29 Aug 2024

Tend the flame

mimidancer

02 Sep 2024

Nah, that is piano 101

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2024

mimidancer wrote:
02 Sep 2024
Nah, that is piano 101
“Play notes in the scale” is good, if obvious, advice! But all I hear is scale wise noodling, so maybe it’s “noodling 101?”. No thematic development, no overall structure. It doesn’t even sound like “jamming”, as you might hear with a blues or jazz band.

Improvising doesn’t mean just playing whatever comes into your head, even if it starts there. Remember, every conversation we have with other people is an improvisation. We say things we didn’t know we were doing to say and do it effortlessly. We also (hopefully) make sense and follow a thread line, and in some way literally or abstractly we tell a story. If we had a conversation that was random and based solely on whatever popped into our head we wouldn’t be able to follow each other.

All to say an improvisation doesn’t have to sound like one, you can “improve” full songs with practice, creating verse/chorus structures in real time if you like. Doesn’t have to sound like noodling up and down a mode or scale, which I don’t find very listenable myself.
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

02 Sep 2024

selig wrote:
02 Sep 2024
mimidancer wrote:
02 Sep 2024
Nah, that is piano 101
“Play notes in the scale” is good, if obvious, advice! But all I hear is scale wise noodling, so maybe it’s “noodling 101?”. No thematic development, no overall structure. It doesn’t even sound like “jamming”, as you might hear with a blues or jazz band.

Improvising doesn’t mean just playing whatever comes into your head, even if it starts there. Remember, every conversation we have with other people is an improvisation. We say things we didn’t know we were doing to say and do it effortlessly. We also (hopefully) make sense and follow a thread line, and in some way literally or abstractly we tell a story. If we had a conversation that was random and based solely on whatever popped into our head we wouldn’t be able to follow each other.

All to say an improvisation doesn’t have to sound like one, you can “improve” full songs with practice, creating verse/chorus structures in real time if you like. Doesn’t have to sound like noodling up and down a mode or scale, which I don’t find very listenable myself.
I think it might help a first-year player understand you can't be wrong if you stick in a mode. But not being wrong; does not mean good.

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2024

mimidancer wrote:
02 Sep 2024
I think it might help a first-year player understand you can't be wrong if you stick in a mode. But not being wrong; does not mean good.
Agreed, but that applies to all music - stay in the scale and you are ‘safe’.
Improvising is more than just playing notes in the scale (was my point), and in fact things may sound VERY basic if that’s all you do, with the music from this video being a great example. I agree with the “notes in the scale are safe bit”, but not the idea that improvisations will “work” as long as the notes are in the scale.

What he was playing sounds like a fully random note/rhythm generator going through a Scales & Chords set to melodic minor! It wasn’t musical to my ear, only “noodling”…
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

03 Sep 2024

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2024
mimidancer wrote:
02 Sep 2024
Agreed, but that applies to all music - stay in the scale and you are ‘safe’.
Improvising is more than just playing notes in the scale (was my point), and in fact things may sound VERY basic if that’s all you do, with the music from this video being a great example. I agree with the “notes in the scale are safe bit”, but not the idea that improvisations will “work” as long as the notes are in the scale.

What he was playing sounds like a fully random note/rhythm generator going through a Scales & Chords set to melodic minor! It wasn’t musical to my ear, only “noodling”…
I believe we agree. I am influenced by Charlie Parker as it pertains to improv. “It's just music. It's trying to play clean and looking for the pretty notes."

jam-s

03 Sep 2024

Just to give some contrast I think this piece here is a good improvisation session. Despite having a few "errors"/accidentals and some imperfections regarding the recording it's got some very nice themes and a great kind of build up and progression:

• Information