Best learning resource for mixing?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Arrant
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2021

So my facebook feed is overflowing with «great offers» on misc mixing and mastering courses, ebooks etc and I’m not sure which ones are legit.

I still struggle with these areas of music production, so I wondered if any of you have come across resources which really improved your mixing skills? Not just a youtube video but something a little more structured preferably. Eureka moments wanted!

PhillipOrdonez

14 Sep 2021

Search cat and beats on YouTube.

Djstarski

14 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
14 Sep 2021
So my facebook feed is overflowing with «great offers» on misc mixing and mastering courses, ebooks etc and I’m not sure which ones are legit.

I still struggle with these areas of music production, so I wondered if any of you have come across resources which really improved your mixing skills? Not just a youtube video but something a little more structured preferably. Eureka moments wanted!
How much do you about mixing so far ?

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2021

34:55 lol
Last edited by aeox on 14 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

thefixr

14 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
14 Sep 2021

Check out Dan Worrall on YouTube. He’s got some of the best mixing and mastering videos out there.

https://youtube.com/c/DanWorrall
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

Arrant
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Search cat and beats on YouTube.
Thanks, I will check these out. I'd prefer something a bit more linear and structured though, probably a paid course.
Djstarski wrote:
14 Sep 2021
How much do you about mixing so far ?
I know all the basics like how to use an EQ, dynamics etc, I can get decent results sometimes but it takes WAAY too long.
And it's still not at a "professional"-sounding level, close but no cigar. Feels like I need a more rigid process I can follow, and to know more about how to treat each sound.
aeox wrote:
14 Sep 2021
34:55 lol
Hehe, this is really funny, and may be helpful :) I'd prefer something a bit more modern though, I do electronic music btw.
thefixr wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Check out Dan Worrall on YouTube. He’s got some of the best mixing and mastering videos out there.
I'll do that, thanks. Looks promising, however again the content is a bit random and I don't want to spend too much time searching through youtube videos.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Sep 2021

The one I recommend has entire series where he mixes tracks using a single plugin company or brand. He does have some paid courses which are very good but you can learn a great deal from the YouTube stuff for free. He's no nonsense on his approach to mixing and presenting; my mixes wouldn't be so good if I had never found his channel. I did take the paid courses after going through his YouTube stuff.

moalla

15 Sep 2021

Thanks for sharing this tip Phillip, Cats and Beats mixing tutorials are amazing :thumbs_up: this guy uses industry standard plugins for example and shows how to use them in a direct intuitive way, really nice, much better than this Blabla courses and expensive music academy stuff.

Also a really nice and fresh spiritual inspiring video for mixing Aeox 34.55 :thumbup:

And Dan Worral has really interesting comparisons of plugs, also a really helpfull channel
Last edited by moalla on 15 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

PhillipOrdonez

15 Sep 2021

Totally, Moalla. No nonsense, quality knowledge.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

These may help you:

5-Step process for making a working mix

Mix Walkthrough

None of these are short or pretend to be "do this exact thing and you'll be golden"
I take a somewhat different approach from many - focusing more on the why than technicalities.
This is the way I was taught so is far from unique.

Either way, please don't fall for the idea in lots of advertising (and YT vids) that if you bounce your head around a lot as you Produca all over the place that it will do anything remotely useful for your skills - matter of fact probably quite the opposite ;-)

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

QVprod

15 Sep 2021

It's been a while since I watched a mixing tutorial but I used to watch The Recording Revolution as well as Pro Audio files on YouTube. I went to audio school and still had plenty to learn from those channels.

• Information