Creating a Sampled Sound That Scales To Song BPM

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Zach

13 May 2021

Hello,

Is it possible to have the speed of a sample be scaled by changes to the song's BPM? My goal is to have a reverse piano sound that scales with BPM changes. What I have tried so far:

-Created a sound in the radical piano. Placed all 88 keys in the sequencer. Bounced the sample in place. Reversed the sample. Bounced the samples to a new sample. Placed them in NN-XT.

-Downloaded a trial of the kHs Reverser. Placed Reverser on Radical Piano.

After placing them in NN-XT, I routed it through different effects and got closer to the idea I was thinking. My biggest problem is that I cannot scale the length or speed of the samples at will.

The Reverser scales to the song's BPM but then my sounds are triggering as a normal piano and not in reverse like I am aiming for.

Is there something I am missing? Some way of routing a sound so that the sample sound can scale to song BPM?

Thanks,
Zach

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 May 2021

I'm not too sure what sound you are trying to achieve.

But generally in these cases you should use Grain, in tape mode with playback set to the Envelope
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

QVprod

14 May 2021

Not possible in the way you want to do it. Audio files in Reason only stretch in the sequencer, not in any of the samplers. You can get something similar by using grain, but then it's only one sample and you'd have to tweak it to match tempo manually I believe.

DaveyG

14 May 2021

Sadly, Reason's samplers have fallen somewhat behind the times. You can battle with the tools you've got but your easiest options are a VST in Reason or a different DAW like Live or FL Studio.

Zach

15 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
14 May 2021
I'm not too sure what sound you are trying to achieve.

But generally in these cases you should use Grain, in tape mode with playback set to the Envelope
Yeah I have tried it in the Grain and it gets too distorted when I go too far from the original sample. I will look at it again though.

Zach

15 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
14 May 2021
Sadly, Reason's samplers have fallen somewhat behind the times. You can battle with the tools you've got but your easiest options are a VST in Reason or a different DAW like Live or FL Studio.
I agree. I have found that using the kHs Reverser it scales to the song tempo and that is closer to what I am going for. I currently don’t use another DAW and I don’t know of a VST that could help with this sound I am going for.

Zach

15 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
14 May 2021
Not possible in the way you want to do it. Audio files in Reason only stretch in the sequencer, not in any of the samplers. You can get something similar by using grain, but then it's only one sample and you'd have to tweak it to match tempo manually I believe.
My goal is to have a way to be tweaking it to match tempo because I use Reason live at church (not ideal but works great).

I have tried the Grain but the sample starts to sound distorted when I play a note too far away from the original sample.

I thought about trying to see if there was a way to route out the speed knob on the grain to control a different instrument but I doubt if that would work.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

15 May 2021

Zach wrote:
13 May 2021
Hello,

Is it possible to have the speed of a sample be scaled by changes to the song's BPM? My goal is to have a reverse piano sound that scales with BPM changes. What I have tried so far:

-Created a sound in the radical piano. Placed all 88 keys in the sequencer. Bounced the sample in place. Reversed the sample. Bounced the samples to a new sample. Placed them in NN-XT.

-Downloaded a trial of the kHs Reverser. Placed Reverser on Radical Piano.

After placing them in NN-XT, I routed it through different effects and got closer to the idea I was thinking. My biggest problem is that I cannot scale the length or speed of the samples at will.

The Reverser scales to the song's BPM but then my sounds are triggering as a normal piano and not in reverse like I am aiming for.

Is there something I am missing? Some way of routing a sound so that the sample sound can scale to song BPM?

Thanks,
Zach
Have you tried the reverse mode in the RV-7000?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

15 May 2021

Zach wrote:
15 May 2021

I have tried the Grain but the sample starts to sound distorted when I play a note too far away from the original sample.
Ok, you should demo Serato Sample first as it uses a reliable realtime performance version of the Pitch n Time algorithm. If your task is what I think it is, then this is what you want. Please note that I'm not 100% sure on what your use case is here. The more detailed description you can give of your requirements, the more accurate the answer can be. :puf_smile:

cheers,
Brian

QVprod

16 May 2021

Zach wrote:
15 May 2021
QVprod wrote:
14 May 2021
My goal is to have a way to be tweaking it to match tempo because I use Reason live at church (not ideal but works great).

I thought about trying to see if there was a way to route out the speed knob on the grain to control a different instrument but I doubt if that would work.
Makes sense. I figured it’s a situation you wanted to use with multiple songs. Indeed the issues you have with Grain is just the limits by of using only one sample. Here is where I’d recommend a more advanced sampler like Kontakt. Sadly Reason’s samplers are still pretty basic in functionality at this point.

Creativemind

16 May 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote:
15 May 2021
Zach wrote: Have you tried the reverse mode in the RV-7000?
What exactly does that do then if you don't mind elaborating?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

16 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
16 May 2021
Zach wrote:
15 May 2021

Makes sense. I figured it’s a situation you wanted to use with multiple songs. Indeed the issues you have with Grain is just the limits by of using only one sample. Here is where I’d recommend a more advanced sampler like Kontakt. Sadly Reason’s samplers are still pretty basic in functionality at this point.
Yeah I hope they update the NN-XT in Reason 12.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

16 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
16 May 2021
Enlightenspeed wrote:
15 May 2021

What exactly does that do then if you don't mind elaborating?
There appears to be something weird going on with the quotations.

Anyway, it's a reversal parameter that you play audio in and get the reversed reverb out. I don't think it's really relevant to the OP though, the more that I think about it.

• Information